DOT into your OBD
04-15-2020, (Subject: DOT into your OBD ) 
DOT into your OBD
I have read some stories of DOT (and/or emissions cops) plugging into our 9-pin OBD on roadside or in the scale house.

What are they looking for exactly?
Can they see if you're demanded or not?

I get it that if you plug in with Insite you can see whatever you want, and if you're deleted that can be easily seen too, but what are they doing? If anyone has an idea.
replyreply
RE: DOT into your OBD
I'm not sure where 'they' (DOT--- not certified in anything Cummins or any other manufacturer I'm aware of) would have the authority to do so. I have read a little about this here on this forum but there's no way I'd let anyone plug into such an important piece of my livelihood without the knowledge to do so or at my request.

DOT should focus on knowing / perfecting THEIR ever-changing rules before taking on such a ridiculous task like that!
replyreply
I get that DOT may have an idea of looking for speed violation in an accident or other pertinent information in building a case.
But I was under the impression that DOT has nothing to do with Federal EPA and has zero authority. They work in tandem, one occupancies the other for enforcement or violations.
Never seen a DOT officer look in my fuel tank, but the white federal van is always next to DOT officer when he looks for the red fuel or does a roadside smoke test.
replyreply
One of the things I had read from someone on another forum was that they were "checking" for fault codes. I guess (I know it's not that way on my truck) but I gathered the CEL could be shut down and by 'plugging in' they could see if a fault existed in the ecm. Now I don't know whether or not they could read what the fault was or not, but I know in our 4 wheel cars around here you can't have a CEL on or active fault to get a annual inspect.

But as I was reading about these it got me to thinking, WHAT exactly could they see? And I do agree with @SquareOne in that plugging into my ecm would not fly and I would need to see some serious regs that gives them the authority to do that, for the sake of it.
replyreply
In Ontario they will plug into your port to verify your speed is governed (I believe to 105km) and lately they are checking that your emissions are intact and operating properly via your obd port.

Good luck telling them no.....

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: barf
I can see how that could be the case if a part of an annual inspection where emissions testing is a part of said inspection.

Thankfully we don’t have diesel emissions inspections in Texas. They will do visuals here but that’s the extent of it. And I have zero intention of going into any area where emissions testing is active.
replyreply
California will do what ever. Our leaders are radical environmentalists activists. If they fry your computer in your truck just sue them. I’m sure it will workout. Even if they have to pay you a bunch of money they don’t care. It’s not there money. There saving the planet man.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod , Roysbigtoys , amermextrucker
04-16-2020, (Subject: DOT into your OBD ) 
(04-15-2020 )Magard Wrote:  California will do what ever. Our leaders are radical environmentalists activists. If they fry your computer in your truck just sue them. I’m sure it will workout. Even if they have to pay you a bunch of money they don’t care. It’s not there money. There saving the planet man.

True enough, but me running a demandated truck, I prefer they never hook up at all.
replyreply
04-16-2020, (Subject: DOT into your OBD ) 
I would never let them plug anything into my truck, they can take me to jail, that's a fact!!! I'm not a pushover like most. They get away with this stuff because you let them.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod , hookliftpete , Pd6cas2

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.