Truck paint
04-15-2020, (Subject: Truck paint ) 
Truck paint
Hey guys, wondering if any of you DIY types have found a good alternative to automotive paint for use on a truck. My truck has what looks to be single stage paint on it, which has come off in front awhile back and is getting kind of ugly. The bolt holes have been also tearing around my urethane front bumper cover and I need to replace it.

Paint is something I can do, Im just wondering what you guys may have used that is both durable and doesnt cost a ton like automotive paint does. Right now Im stuck on single stage.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
RE: Truck paint
I was told long ago, ppg is quality.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
ppg or house of colors

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
04-16-2020, (Subject: Truck paint ) 
I paint all my own trucks and trailers I used to get Imron but I have found it hard to get and expensive, it is hard to get a Imron color match using other brands because the Imron paint codes do not cross to other manufacture. I have found that PPG essentials the same paint out of the same can, can be shot as a single stage or a base coat clear coat this can be very handy you just need a base coat converter. I ordered this truck and then painted the trailer to match my last 2 trucks. This paint is a direct to metal paint you do not need a primer but when painting over aluminum you will need a primer if you sand through the original paint otherwise 220 grit and your ready for color.
I use Tamco clear hy impact because it dries so fast the essentials clear just takes to long to get take free.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Roysbigtoys , barf , dhirocz , Brock , JMBT , Pd6cas2 , snailexpress

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock , JMBT , snailexpress , Pd6cas2
Tamco can mix you a good durable single stage if you call and specifically ask for it. They aren't cheap but in the world of paint you can have cheap or you can have good, you can't have both. Also remember that the finished product will only be as good as the prep!!

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
04-17-2020, (Subject: Truck paint ) 
I bet they have a top quality top coat or color it is just tough to match colors from 2 thousand miles away especially the metallic colors, I have thought about having tammy send me a gallon of white,black and she could match the silver PPG that I use as my base coat for most jobs. I'm going to give her a call I'm going to need 3 gallons of silver shortly.
replyreply
04-17-2020, (Subject: Truck paint ) 
I don't know what happened to my reply to tree98 so I will try again

I bet Tamco makes a great top coat or color it is just tough to get color matches from 2 thousand miles away especially metallic colors. I should by a gallon of toner white, black and have them match the PPG silver I use as my base color for most projects I need about 3 gallons in the next couple months. If you call for help Tammy the owner answers most of the time sometimes you can hear her kids in the background [ I think they are kids ]
replyreply
05-26-2020, (Subject: Truck paint ) 
I ended up using rust oleum farm and implement paint on my front bumper and grille in black. Don't know if I would cover a truck in it, but for what I used it for it worked out pretty good. I'll end up replacing my front fiberglass bumper cover next time it comes off anyway, so we will see how it weathers.

It did go on and cover pretty easy. Dries pretty hard, widely available, and cheap. I'm in it under $100, much cheaper than the costs and downtime associated with a full repaint.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.