Some information on oil change procedures
04-16-2020, (Subject: Some information on oil change procedures ) 
Some information on oil change procedures
So I get my oil changed today. Last time I had it done here I thought it took to long to build oil pressure. Like oil pressure alarm starts going off right about the time pressure starts up. So I normally pre fill filter. These guys say they never do it that way. Other guys say that dry filter is normal. What’s the word.
replyreply
RE: Some information on oil change procedures
CAUTION
Mechanical overtightening can distort the threads or damage the filter element seal.

Fill the oil filter with clean 15W-40 oil.
Install the oil filter onto the oil filter head. Tighten the filter until the gasket contacts the filter head surface.
Use oil filter wrench, Part Number 3375049, 3397929, or 3400157 to tighten the filter an additional 3/4 to 1 turn, or follow the instructions supplied with the filter.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Magard , JimT
I would guess it’s common sense to pre fill filter. I am surprised that some people don’t. Just checking that I’m not ocd.
replyreply
actually most OEM's do not want you to pre fill the filter. Your chance of getting dirt intrusion is much much higher because you are pouring unfiltered oil directly into it. So if you pre fill be dam careful and diligent about keeping it clean.

Uni
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Roysbigtoys , hhow55 , Signature620
(04-16-2020 )Unilevers Wrote:  actually most OEM's do not want you to pre fill the filter. Your chance of getting dirt intrusion is much much higher because you are pouring unfiltered oil directly into it. So if you pre fill be dam careful and diligent about keeping it clean.

Uni
That what I’m being told. Oem doesn’t want you pre filling filter. I guess I’m officially ocd.
replyreply
04-17-2020, (Subject: Some information on oil change procedures ) 
Cummins are one of few engine makers to recommend prefilling filters. If a CAT dealer mechanic saw you do it he'd go off like Rawze at a bad delete.

I personally spin all oil filters on dry.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Roysbigtoys
fill filters from outside holes is only way to ensure no dirt going into the engine but of course if your trucks a bear like mine who knows how many things that filter hits knocking chunks of dirt off before it gets to the housing.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
I always put mine on dry. CM2250 765K, never takes but a second to have normal pressure on the gauge. I think I read the flow rate on the oil pump is around 32gal/min stock, so it fills that filter pretty fast.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.