unplugged
04-17-2020, (Subject: unplugged ) 
unplugged
After a trip to a local dealer in AL and a $2500 bill, mileage started dropping from 6.7. Trip to NM ended at 5.3 mpg and engine dash lights are on. Remembered reading about the magic plug, so I unplugged it and drove it back from NM to home in GA. All lights went out except for engine check light and mileage went to 8.3. Question is how long can I run it with the magic plug out? Also, I have purchased an inline six adapter and need help badly. Can and will do all labor myself.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod
RE: unplugged
(04-17-2020 )jim49 Wrote:  After a trip to a local dealer in AL and a $2500 bill, mileage started dropping from 6.7. Trip to NM ended at 5.3 mpg and engine dash lights are on. Remembered reading about the magic plug, so I unplugged it and drove it back from NM to home in GA. All lights went out except for engine check light and mileage went to 8.3. Question is how long can I run it with the magic plug out? Also, I have purchased an inline six adapter and need help badly. Can and will do all labor myself.

I know there will be much smarter guys to respond than me and I know for sure you'll need to pop back on here with more info about your make model engine type odometer things like that because you will be asked.

As far as continuing to run the truck with the 'magic plug' pulled, probably not a good idea. It got you home, but what you don't know is what additional issues did it possibly cause. I can guess that at a minimum you'll need to do a complete EGR tune up and parked regen to get your DOC cleaned because I'm sure it is probably quite full of soot over that 1200+ miles.

Do you know what codes it was giving you when your CEL reared its ugly head?

I feel for you. I spent so much freakin' $$ on that damn after-treatment system in the last 2 years, over $20k to be exact and my last episode thru me over the top! So...ADIOS it went. And if you decide to go that route whatever you do, DO NOT GO TO ANYONE ELSE besides those recommended here to do anything like that with your truck.

I think you said you purchased your inline? Anyway, here's a link to the one I bought, awesome product...https://www.my-grandview.com/store/p1/Grandview_USB_Kit.html
replyreply
^^^^^ -- What he said.

I have seen people run with magic plug ondone for a couple weeks at a time,.. but eventually the DPF systems suffers, as it will not regen at all while the faults exist in the dash. Eventually it will also derate too. - At the very least, do a full EGR tune-up on it --- GET THE ENGINE RUNNING RIGHT and the DOC/DPF issues will mostly go away. A DELETE does not fix engines that run crappy and plug up dpf filters. -- They are FILTERS-- They do0 not make soot and the stuff that clogs them up--- they are the aftermath of other problems!

Lastly,.. taking it to the stealertshits is the fastest way to put yourself out of business... i have no idea why people keep torturing their wallets and their equipment by taking their trucks to the worst places you can take a truck to. -- LEARN HOW TO WORK ON IT YOURSELF OR GO OUT OF BUSINESS RUNNING OFF EVERYWHERE!-- Learn to swim on your own!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Rawze is right and I should have said it. I didn't delete because of engine problems, thank God my engine has been running pretty well. My reasons go much deeper than that and I simply had enough.

What was the problem you were having that you took it to the stealership for in the first place? After-treatment related or something else?
replyreply
Soooo, first off, we can't give you any solid advise unless we know what you have. Make, Model, Year, Mileage, which Engine (870 - EGR only, 871 - EGR/DPF, 2250 2010-about 2013 EGR/DPF/DEF, 2350 - EGR/DPF/DEF about 2013 till the X15 came out).

If it's an 870 than that is one situation.

If it's 871 or later (any engine with a DPF) then running with it unplugged will lead to the DPF eventually getting clogged up, causing increasing levels of engine derates and eventually complete shutdown with possible damage to turbo and engine due to the increased back pressure from the clogged exhaust.

Secondly, we need to know more about what has been happening - symptoms and codes, what your shops have been telling you, and what has been tried so far.

If you haven't set it up already, head over to cummins website and set up a free account with quickserve, you'll need the info there for pretty much everything.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.