Many questions
04-18-2020, (Subject: Many questions ) 
RE: Many questions
(04-18-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Keep us posted Rawze. This guys complaint seems to have attracted quite a few people's similar problems. I'm curious to see how far down the rabbit hole this unit goes.

LOL, You and me both brother.lol
replyreply
04-18-2020, (Subject: Many questions ) 
From my understanding transmission only starting with "RTOC" can be converted.
replyreply
04-20-2020, (Subject: Many questions ) 
(04-18-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  Spoke to him on the phone. He said he might come over on Monday. - Hope he's ready to do some work to it, likely take a couple days.lol

Ok ... SO he showed up here today. This is what was found...

* First of all the plot thickens. - He had no idea that the head was replaced on it. - The date on the haad is from 2006 (far older than the rest of engine, and not painted at all, rusted on outsides), looks to be a cummins RX reman head, but unsure of its quality. Looks like it has been on there for at least a year or two. -- Big red flag,.. but maybe he got lucky? -- Why would head be replaced with something non-OEM, likely an old repaired head (= junk). -- was it inframed?--- A lot of unanswered questions seeing this.

* Pulled the valve cover. Ran the overhead valve adjustments. Engine brakes had been backed waay off on it. -- when set right, there is less than .010 on some engine brake rockers and less than 0.004" detent clearances on others once set correctly. -- This is bad -- REAL BAD!. <--- I pulled the rocker shafts loose and sure enough they had never been torqued properly, and not only that, they were severely mis-aligned. <- After resetting them properly, the clearances were .040 - .070 ... plenty of clearances, shows that at least the valve seats are not completely worn out for now any ways.

- Makes me wonder what else in that engine is not right.

* Also found huge leak in exhaust manifold and broken bolts. - Leak was actually the crossover tube that feeds the exhaust pressure sensor, pipe completely borken at one end. Sensor likely reading nothing, causing massive fuel efficiency problems.

* The truck needs a lot of work. - Also seems the DPf elements are clogged up from the way it sounds when running.

* Idler Pulley bad on A/C, dry as a bone and starting to howl.

* Both the A/C belt and the main drive belt are rotten, worn slap out. - It is a wonder they have not shredded by now.

* Someone also capped and blocked off the pressure relief for the coolant cap. This thing would have made 50 psi in the coolant system, hoses were leaking in various places, etc... had to tighten some clamps. Fixed the capped off pres. relief valve. - Hoping it was not done this way to cover up bigger problems like a dropped liner? -- unsure at this point.

* the engine is really hard to turn over. - it is severely soot-packed .. like really bad. It is obvious this thing has been neglected severely most of its life and oil changes were not done nearly often enough. - The oil smells of heavy soot and all the metal insides of the engine are impregnated heavily with soot intrusion. - Engine abuse and neglect at its finest.

* Rear structure leaking badly. - This thing was lugged to death in low rpm with foot in the floor all its life. Distorted the rear structure housing and now its leaking pretty good. - tranny, clutch, flywheel, pan, and all will have to be removed to get to it. - Big job to fix this issue.

* This thing needs a replacement heat exchange element for the tranny (it is the one that uses engine coolant). It has the style that takes out the tranny when it goes bad and it looks pretty corroded up. That or maybe converted over to an air-cooled oil system to eliminate this tranny-killing death-trap all together.

* Crank shaft damper needs replacing. It is definitely the orig., has more than 600k miles on it, and rusted up badly.

* This thing is in pretty bad shape, but nothing seen so far that cannot be fixed. Rest of truck needs things like rear axle bearings re-torqued, and a lot of other things. Air bags are going bad on the back end, shocks shot on back end... etc.etc.etc.

- He will be coming back tomorrow with parts in hand to fix some of this stuff. Turbo will have to come off it + exhaust manifold to repair the broken bolt(s) in exh. manifiold etc. - How much of this stuff he wants to fix on is up to him at this point. Personally, I think it would take him a couple-3 weeks to straighten all this mess out on his own w some basic guidance to keep him from breaking things.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , marek4792 , tree98 , hhow55 , kozakvod , Roysbigtoys , t700 , Signature620 , Chamberpains , amermextrucker , LargeCar , kalsandhu
04-20-2020, (Subject: Many questions ) 
Not a good way to start off his business venture.

Poor fella just didn't know what he was getting into. Did he buy from a dealer or individual?

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
04-21-2020, (Subject: Many questions ) 
Noone wants to get bad news, especially early on and during an uncertain economic time. But on the bright side he reached out, asked for help and listened to the advice offered. Now he's in good hands and working toward a better future.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Roysbigtoys , hhow55 , TruckerRalph , kozakvod , LargeCar , kalsandhu
04-22-2020, (Subject: Many questions ) 
* Got the broken exhaust manifold bolt(s) replaced, all new manifold gaskets, manifold surfaced.

* Tested the turbo thouroughyl. - It seems to be in decent shape.

* Replaced the broken pipe for the Exh. pressure sensor, etc.

* re-filled the coolant system and pulled a vacuum on it to burp it.

* Cranked it up and tested to ensure the Doser injector was not leaky. -- It seems ok.

* replaced the bad A/C idler pulley and replaced both of the worn out belts.

* New exhaust gas pressure sensor. Looks like he recently replaced the IMAP as well.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: LargeCar
I may have missed it, but was there a problem with the ECM program? He had mentioned 2 different years between the engine and the year of the truck.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: LargeCar
(04-22-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  I may have missed it, but was there a problem with the ECM program? He had mentioned 2 different years between the engine and the year of the truck.

have not gotten that far yet. it is still in my driveway.

Just like others have said... this truck is in pretty bad shape for a used truck that was sold claiming it was ready for the road ways... it it typical of how people really need to take a much closer look at a truck before purchasing it, and how many tings really get missed.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains
04-24-2020, (Subject: Many questions ) 
helped him a bit with his truck again today. It rained all day yesterday, so did not do anything with it.

* He got the ting pretty much back together.

His DPF was completely shot ... also his DOC. Both were severely plugged up. It is ovbious that the face of the elements are getting wet with oil and plugging up, gettng ahsed up from the engine blowby on his worn, severely neglected engine.

He got that taken care of using the 'alternative method', and as well the bulls$it rev and rpm limiters removed form his truck.

* He still needs to replace his fan clutch. It is bleeding air badly when engauged.
* He needs to replace rear shocks and leaking rear air bags that have rotted out rubber in them.
* He still needs to re-torque all rear axle hub bearings.

- He needs to still do a lot of work to it, as mentioned in earlier posts. He left today, so hopefully he will do all that stuff slowly over the next few weeks as he hauls a bit of freight to make some money. Although not in good shape overall, at least the truck is running much more reliably now in the mean time.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod , JimT , SquareOne , Chamberpains , tree98 , t700 , hhow55 , amermextrucker , Mattman , Nostalgic

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.