vibration damper thoughts
10-26-2021, (Subject: vibration damper thoughts ) 
RE: vibration damper thoughts
(10-26-2021 )SquareOne Wrote:  -<snip>-
- If I'm understanding correctly, the fluid inside the damper hardens, therefore it becomes ineffective. Cummins maintenance calls for a 500k replacement, but my question is does the fluid harden because of use or does it have a shelf life? This part I just received for example appears to have been on the shelf for nearly 5yrs according to the stock tag. Would that shorten it's effective lifespan even though it hasn't been installed?

The properties of the fluid cause it to harden from the vibration cycles over time, thus the operational shelf life.
To the best of my knowledge, parts shelf storage life doesn't affect it. This assumption is based on manufacturer's specifying a mileage (hours on a stationary engine) replacement, not a mileage/time service interval.

Theses things get very hot dampening the vibrations, it is the heat cycles on the fluid that determines the service interval.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , SquareOne
Isn't LKQ a used/salvaged truck parts supplier?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
(10-26-2021 )SquareOne Wrote:  The damper arrived last night. Opened up this am to find this a fairly roughly handled ‘new’ part. Looks like it’s been hanging around for the last 5 years at someone’s shop... Not so much worried about the surface rust as I am some of the damage that’s on it from transport through the years. Has some scratches (that could be sanded out) and a couple places where it has definately contacted cement ( maybe when standing it up to get ready to place it on a shelf). I’m sure it will still function as it should. However, I would def be rejecting this if it were placed on front of me at my local Cummins store.

- If I'm understanding correctly, the fluid inside the damper hardens, therefore it becomes ineffective. Cummins maintenance calls for a 500k replacement, but my question is does the fluid harden because of use or does it have a shelf life? This part I just received for example appears to have been on the shelf for nearly 5yrs according to the stock tag. Would that shorten it's effective lifespan even though it hasn't been installed?

Here are some pics. Any thoughts? Already contacted FinditParts and sent them an email with the condition.

THAT IS A USED PART... DID YOU INTEND TO BUY A USED ONE?

There is no telling how many miles are on that thing.. It looks like a WHOLE LOT! .. someone stripped the pain off of a replacement damper right off an engine somewhere, and half-arssed cleaned it up.. then stuck it in a box.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
LKQ lately has been selling "New" harmonic balancers on eBay.... Every one of them look to be taken off the truck and stripped of the paint.

I circled where it looks like the bolts made their mark when tightened.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
(10-26-2021 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Isn't LKQ a used/salvaged truck parts supplier?

Yeaaa, thats the same thing I thought as well.

(10-26-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  THAT IS A USED PART... DID YOU INTEND TO BUY A USED ONE?

There is no telling how many miles are on that thing.. It looks like a WHOLE LOT! .. someone stripped the pain off of a replacement damper right off an engine somewhere, and half-arssed cleaned it up.. then stuck it in a box.

As far as it being used, I def did not intend to buy a used part. I did notice the markings around the mounting holes which made me question it as well. Never removed one before, so I assumed (with the frequent difficulty of removal) it would have much more scarring around the mounting holes, center bore, and rear portion where it would be in direct contact of the crank. Didn't even consider they would've stripped the paint though....that's pretty chicken shi#t and they should be held accountable if that's the stuff they're trying to pull.

Guess it's back to the drawing board to try to hunt one down....where's the 'hand to face' icon lol
replyreply
10-27-2021, (Subject: vibration damper thoughts ) 
I don't know.......... how would they strip that paint off so clean? There's not even a spec of red and it wasn't media blasted. The writing is absolutely perfect, not eaten away by rust. Maybe you guys are right but I'm not so sure. It looks like surface rust from being stored in a plastic bag (condensation) maybe somewhere that wasn't temperature controlled.

Here's an idea, just for shits and giggles try this test that tanker93 explains here

https://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=2304&page=2

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(10-27-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  I don't know.......... how would they strip that paint off so clean? There's not even a spec of red and it wasn't media blasted. The writing is absolutely perfect, not eaten away by rust. Maybe you guys are right but I'm not so sure.

not sure but that is DEFINITELY A USED PART!. it is blatantly obvious!. And it does not look like somethng someone had installed for a few days and sent back.

just my opinion.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(10-19-2021 )SquareOne Wrote:  Just to continue this thread....I"ll be replacing my damper when I shut down at the end of the year (engine just reached the 500k mark). For those who have done this, is there a particular site you would recommend for an OEM part?

My part number as per Q/S is 4101884.

The couple sites I've found with the Cummins damper are approx $715-$750. Would that be about what you all had found cost wise? (Cant ask my local shops as they are through the roof on every damn thing....absolutely ridiculous the mark-up on their parts!)

Buy the OE dampener ONLY. The aftermarket dampeners are off balance and lesser quality and unless you are willing to risk your entire engine for the sake of $50-$200 then dont even think about it. Any KW or Pete or even Freightliner dealer can sell you the OE one and have it to your door pretty much next day.
replyreply
(10-26-2021 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(10-26-2021 )SquareOne Wrote:  -<snip>-

The properties of the fluid cause it to harden from the vibration cycles over time, thus the operational shelf life.
To the best of my knowledge, parts shelf storage life doesn't affect it. This assumption is based on manufacturer's specifying a mileage (hours on a stationary engine) replacement, not a mileage/time service interval.

Theses things get very hot dampening the vibrations, it is the heat cycles on the fluid that determines the service interval.

First, no, the fluid doesn't (usually) harden or become ineffective etc.. If you have ever taken them off and drilled into them (which I have done at least 15 times) you will find that 98% of them have the same consistency. The internal viscous fluid is a silicone based substance that does NOT harden or change based on its exposure to oxygen. What does happen is that the paint chips, the metal rusts, the holes become microscopically oval shaped and the bolts wear away at the dampener. All of this causes the dampener (or harmonic balancer) to become off balance and its ability to dampen the reverberation of the crankshaft becomes less effective. It is a cheap and very effective form of preventative maintenance. I perform them without question at 500k NO MATTER WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE OR WHAT CONDITION THEY ARE IN.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.