vibration damper thoughts
10-28-2021, (Subject: vibration damper thoughts ) 
RE: vibration damper thoughts
(10-27-2021 )Poundtowne Wrote:  Buy the OE dampener ONLY. The aftermarket dampeners are off balance and lesser quality and unless you are willing to risk your entire engine for the sake of $50-$200 then dont even think about it. Any KW or Pete or even Freightliner dealer can sell you the OE one and have it to your door pretty much next day.

Aftermarket was never an option, especially on something so critical. On the other hand, I'd rather not get shafted by the dealer either. Since i'm still 6 weeks or so out before performing the repair, I'm still on the hunt after returning the last 'new' damper I purchased.....(see the earlier posts within this thread).
replyreply
(10-27-2021 )Poundtowne Wrote:  .... the holes become microscopically oval shaped and the bolts wear away at the dampener. All of this causes the dampener (or harmonic balancer) to become off balance and its ability to dampen the reverberation of the crankshaft becomes less effective....

Seems if this were true, then there would be a much more severe issue at hand. I've never done one so I don't have any knowledge on the subject, but from what many others have experienced on here it seems like the process is opposite. Almost as if the retainer plate, pulley and damper seize themselves to the crank. Rawze had a post here somewhere explaining just how bad his was to remove.

Also, being pinned to the crank and all 12 bolts properly torqued, movement shouldn't be an option, correct?
replyreply
(10-27-2021 )Poundtowne Wrote:  ..
What does happen is that the paint chips, the metal rusts, the holes become microscopically oval shaped and the bolts wear away at the dampener. All of this causes the dampener (or harmonic balancer) to become off balance and its ability to dampen the reverberation of the crankshaft becomes less effective.

I just have to point this out...

Was someone trying to play "internet rambo" there or what?... a bit of rust and paint and "microscopic bolt distortions" .. SERIOUSLY?... THAT DAMN THING AND THE heavy CRANK IT BALANCES IS NOT THAT SENSITIVE AT ALL!!!..

The damn crank-shaft is not spinning at 50,000 rpm's where things like that would actually start to make a measurable difference ... ... - I want some of that your smokin' there... better yet.. maybe not.

We try not to do that kind of over-extreme stuffs around here .. so that people who do not know any better can learn things without being clouded with excessive "micro-cassims" of rambo-isms.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
10-29-2021, (Subject: vibration damper thoughts ) 
I honestly never even thought about this part I bought my truck with 640,000 miles and from the maintenance records I had thought they had done the 500,000 mile service but looks like this wasn’t done so after reading this I searched for one andThe international stealership near me has the OEM Damper for 678. After some of the prices are seeing after having read this forum and the aftermarket ones being near that I bought it. My engine is a 2013 isx15 cm2350 if anybody is trying to get one at that price you can message me and I can let you know where
replyreply
So after buying the part The shop manager sent me this estimate LOL this is what I was saying in my previous posts they give an estimate and then you think great that’s not bad so you drop the truck off expecting to get it back later that day and then they keep it for three days and then tell you it’s $2000 that place never honors their estimates and the final price has never been close.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
I'd tell that shop to stuff it they can't exceed a written estimate by more than 15% without written consent. I used to work in a shop.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: GhostHauling
Well I can’t have them do any more work to my truck anyways not that I want them to. Honestly it looks like this will be a bit difficult for because there’s not much room but the reason I don’t want them or anyone else around here doing it is simply I know they don’t give a damn about my truck and they’ve broken other stuff and never said a work in the past so If I took it in to have them do it I’d likely find a hose broken or wires or fan shroud cracked or fan blades I mean they literally don’t care because it’s not there’s and the commission based pay to me anyways means they care allot less when they make less and have a strong motivator to take longer or raise the price. I just have one question about doing this job do I need a Puller tool or can I pry it off with a solid bolt point as leverage?
replyreply
Here a pic of mine. It looks like somebody wrote 19 on it I don’t know if that just means they inspected it or if they changed it in 2019 either way I have no records and neither does the Steeler ship of it being done. 2019 is when the inframe was done. It had 398k when it had the Inframe under warranty by the dealer

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
(10-29-2021 )GhostHauling Wrote:  Here a pic of mine. It looks like somebody wrote 19 on it I don’t know if that just means they inspected it or if they changed it in 2019 either way I have no records and neither does the Steeler ship of it being done. 2019 is when the inframe was done. It had 398k when it had the Inframe under warranty by the dealer
Well, the best way to know is to change it yourself with a new OEM dampener? Looks original by the picture…

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: GhostHauling

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.