Air conditioning issues 2015 ProStar
04-26-2020, (Subject: Air conditioning issues 2015 ProStar ) 
RE: Air conditioning issues 2015 ProStar
FWIW AC info for what NAV calls Next Generation Vehicle (NGV) which came out very early 2000's. NGV includes ProStars. First system from start to around 2007. Orifice tube and thermistors. 2007 to around 2010 Thermostatic Expansion Valve (TXV) and thermistors. 2010 and up TXV, and no more thermistors. There was an Authorized Field Campaign (AFC) for ProStars in Latin America AFC13914R2 for units in the 2007-2009 range. It replaces the thermistors with freeze probes. Document says Latin America but if your seeing taped over thermistors not wired to anything this might be why. Don't know why it says Latin Amerca. Sometimes NAV lets info leak out the back door by "accident".

Should have a sticker if anybody bothered to put it on. Requires programming changes to the body computer. I have never seen this done. Just the document.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: smorgan87
its a chrysler designed system. A lot of the components are the same as a jeep grand cheorokee ( blend door motors, sensors, etc. ) ... but much more expensive if u go to a stealers$it to get them instead of the local auto parts store and ask for the same part for a 1999 grand charokee. -- just some FYI.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Interesting. I'm going to check on the thermistors. Those are stupid money for what they are. Various crosses to other makes aren't much better price wise. Especially if they don't come with new connectors which is where half the problems are. I use Stabilent on the connections. Seems to help.
replyreply
Opps, Stabilant
replyreply
http://www.truckersac.com

For all of your AC needs, pretty hard to beat these guys for quality parts and pricing.
replyreply
The years are off on how the hvac is designed. The 11s i know have a txv and thermisters. Ive looked prty close on my 15 and can cant find a damn thermister anywhere (not saying it doesnt exist, just i havent found one). On my 11 model truck i unplugged the thermisters and power the compressor off a toggle switch. The problem? I have no freeze protection or over pressure protection. The existing high psi sensor and computer cycles the fan fine with the thermisters unplugged. But without a low psi switch it will freeze up and without a high psi cutout it can blow off refrigerant and send ur 300$ compressor to the scrap pile.
replyreply
04-27-2020, (Subject: Air conditioning issues 2015 ProStar ) 
(04-26-2020 )smorgan87 Wrote:  The years are off on how the hvac is designed. The 11s i know have a txv and thermisters. Ive looked prty close on my 15 and can cant find a damn thermister anywhere (not saying it doesnt exist, just i havent found one). On my 11 model truck i unplugged the thermisters and power the compressor off a toggle switch. The problem? I have no freeze protection or over pressure protection. The existing high psi sensor and computer cycles the fan fine with the thermisters unplugged. But without a low psi switch it will freeze up and without a high psi cutout it can blow off refrigerant and send ur 300$ compressor to the scrap pile.

that compressor can fairly easily be controlled with an arduino. Here is one method...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...2#pid15312

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
04-27-2020, (Subject: Air conditioning issues 2015 ProStar ) 
Yeah, it was hotter than hell one summer when them misters went nutty. I made do with a toggle until cooler weather and then i bought a new truck not long after. One these days ima build one them arduinos. Or maybe ride to GA and find out about ur cookin everbody raves about.
replyreply
04-28-2020, (Subject: Air conditioning issues 2015 ProStar ) 
(04-26-2020 )smorgan87 Wrote:  The years are off on how the hvac is designed. The 11s i know have a txv and thermisters. Ive looked prty close on my 15 and can cant find a damn thermister anywhere (not saying it doesnt exist, just i havent found one). On my 11 model truck i unplugged the thermisters and power the compressor off a toggle switch. The problem? I have no freeze protection or over pressure protection. The existing high psi sensor and computer cycles the fan fine with the thermisters unplugged. But without a low psi switch it will freeze up and without a high psi cutout it can blow off refrigerant and send ur 300$ compressor to the scrap pile.
Offered as a rough guide only and to give a thumbnail of three systems. Exact rollover dates varies between models in the NGV family. i.e. DuraStars, WorkStars and ProStars. This gets more messed up. Service Info (SI) is usually based on calendar years. Vehicles are titled based on model year and are usually referred to by model year. All OEM's do this but Navistar is especially crazy. A build date of say Jan. 04 2010 will show 2011 on the title. I believe this is done for the big fleets, especially rental. They gain a year of use. 5 years out in 2015 they then advertise and sell as a 2011. Buyers think its a 4 year old truck. Look at your build date on the door vs. what your title says.
If your don't see any thermistors as shown in the pictures then you have the third system. Location of the thermistors in the first and second systems are slightly different but in the same general area.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.