new truck advice
04-24-2020, (Subject: new truck advice ) 
RE: new truck advice
is this going to be your first truck? You sound a bit new. Give the "My Book" a read through. I'm no expert here, but if you're heavy a lot in the mountains then the larger displacement engine (15 liter instead of 13 liter) is probably the way to go. All the engines have problems and need constant maintenance. The biggest reason to choose Cummins is that anyone can work on it, especially yourself, and parts can be obtained nearly anywhere. Other engines are tied to only a single truck OEM, limiting your service options.

Engine aside, if you're heavy pulling mountains then one of the biggest things you will need to focus on will the the gear ratios. probably want a 13 or 18 speed transmission and the rear end ratio will have the biggest impact on long term fuel efficiency and engine life. I'm not as well versed in the ideal ratios so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Take LOTS of time and spec your truck to match YOUR workload, THEN go shopping to find a truck that meets your needs. Make, Model, year or even engine won't make much difference if you don't do the research ahead of time and get the right equipment for the job.

As far as preferences go, this is mainly a Cummins maintenance related forum, so most of our opinions will be biased to reflect our experience.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod , Linked

Messages In This Thread
new truck advice - Linked - 04-24-2020,
RE: new truck advice - JimT - 04-24-2020
RE: new truck advice - Rawze - 04-24-2020,
RE: new truck advice - hhow55 - 04-25-2020,
RE: new truck advice - Linked - 05-04-2020,
RE: new truck advice - tree98 - 05-04-2020,
RE: new truck advice - Linked - 05-04-2020,
RE: new truck advice - Mattman - 05-04-2020,
RE: new truck advice - Magard - 05-04-2020,
RE: new truck advice - Rawze - 05-06-2020,

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.