CAT ET Software (and head problems)
04-26-2020, (Subject: CAT ET Software (and head problems) ) 
CAT ET Software (and head problems)
Hi,
i have a 2004 Kenworth with a C15 CAT single turbo. had an overheat issue and caused the head gasket to go. also replaced the head because it was cracked. It has a bit of a tic or thumping noise since it came back from the shop that changed the head. He thinks it is an injector issue, and it seems you can hear it most loudly in the air cleaner.
I'm wondering if i can download CAT ET software somehow and do some injector tests to see if i can find the issue. Is it available and how does one licence it or activate it? I've looked around the internet a bit, but seems like all sketchy websites for downloads, and idk if they work or not
replyreply
04-26-2020, (Subject: CAT ET Software (and head problems) ) 
RE: CAT ET Software
its all over the auto tuning sites .. those places where ppl make and share all those bad deletes.

I do not allow software trading on this forum. There are plenty of other places for that on the internet already.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
04-27-2020, (Subject: CAT ET Software (and head problems) ) 
(04-26-2020 )tsolson Wrote:  Hi,
i have a 2004 Kenworth with a C15 CAT single turbo. had an overheat issue and caused the head gasket to go. also replaced the head because it was cracked. It has a bit of a tic or thumping noise since it came back from the shop that changed the head. He thinks it is an injector issue, and it seems you can hear it most loudly in the air cleaner.
I'm wondering if i can download CAT ET software somehow and do some injector tests to see if i can find the issue. Is it available and how does one licence it or activate it? I've looked around the internet a bit, but seems like all sketchy websites for downloads, and idk if they work or not

I would take it back to the shop that fixed it and asked them to straighten out this issue.

User's Signature: 36-25-34
replyreply
04-27-2020, (Subject: CAT ET Software (and head problems) ) 
popping sound in the intake is usually bad intake valve.

Not sure about CAT, but on an ISX, a person would pressurize the intake manifold with 40 psi air pressure with all the valve rockers backed off (valve rocker shafts taken loose) so that all the valves were closed and see if it holds pressure on its own. Any measurable leaks, and its loosing compression/head is bad.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
04-30-2020, (Subject: CAT ET Software (and head problems) ) 
Thanks.
I made a plate for the intake and installed a pressure gauge and a schrader valve. I pressurized the intake up to 35 psi and I can hear air leaking. Sounds like cyl #5 air leaking the loudest. Pressure will leak down from 30 to 20 psi in about 10 seconds. Not sure how long it should hold pressure? I’m going to pull the injector and try pressuring the one cyl to see if I can pinpoint it. I’m guessing the new head I got was no good, that would be my luck.
replyreply
05-01-2020, (Subject: CAT ET Software (and head problems) ) 
(04-30-2020 )tsolson Wrote:  Thanks.
I made a plate for the intake and installed a pressure gauge and a schrader valve. I pressurized the intake up to 35 psi and I can hear air leaking. Sounds like cyl #5 air leaking the loudest. Pressure will leak down from 30 to 20 psi in about 10 seconds. Not sure how long it should hold pressure? I’m going to pull the injector and try pressuring the one cyl to see if I can pinpoint it. I’m guessing the new head I got was no good, that would be my luck.

make sure the intake rockers are up and that valves are all closed. After that , if it is leaking any air at all, it is bad. - An ISX head that is good will hold 30 psi for an hour or more before the needle drops. There should be no consistently measurable leak rate, and certianly nothign like you describe.

same for the exhaust side.

-- A new head can be checked before install by doing same test on intake and then exhaust side. - Some people will turn the head up on its side and pour liberal amounts of brake cleaner, penetrating oil, sometimes diesel fuel or gasoline into the open valve ports and let it sit several minutes to see if liquid seeps around the valves on the head... then turn it to the other side and do the same test again.

Personally, I like using air pressure instead. It catches more problems than using liquids that are not pressurized.

replyreply
05-01-2020, (Subject: CAT ET Software (and head problems) ) 
ok, thanks Rawze. Definetly not holding air pressure for an hour!! i never checked the new head before install, just assumed it would have been good or tested from the factory. More quality made offshore :(
replyreply
05-03-2020, (Subject: CAT ET Software (and head problems) ) 
i pulled the cylinder head this afternoon. I pressure tested the intake again, and it seems to be holding air better now that the head is off. Still leaking down, but #4 cylinder intake valves seems to be the worst. If you push on it slightly side to side, there is some movement, and it leaks bad. not sure if that's been my problem or not. I'm thinking the valve guides are worn, or were no good from new?
replyreply
05-03-2020, (Subject: CAT ET Software (and head problems) ) 
Was that a cat reman head or brand new? If it was a reman I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it was like that when you put it on. Cat's reman program isn't very good these days.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.