Replaced actuators.....now this...Need imput.
07-16-2016, (Subject: Replaced actuators.....now this...Need imput. ) 
RE: Replaced actuators.....now this...Need imput.
I am runnin big power. I m not sure how the 871 could be improved on though. I cut egr mixer out of mine. Opened it up quite a bit. Been like that since day 1 though.
replyreply
(07-16-2016 )Rig Wrench Wrote:  I am runnin big power. I m not sure how the 871 could be improved on though. I cut egr mixer out of mine. Opened it up quite a bit. Been like that since day 1 though.

Serious HP for me is going beyond 650 where everything should be dialed close to perfect. Do you really need that much ? Don't forget its trade off between longevity and uncertainty if you take this road .
replyreply
Surpassed 650 a while ago. I don't consider it a need. Think of it as a hobby truck. It gets impeccable maintenance. Every thing is 100%. Hope to get some Dyno numbers. Havin trouble gettin the local cummins dealer let be put it on..
replyreply
07-17-2016, (Subject: Replaced actuators.....now this...Need imput. ) 
(07-13-2016 )preacherboy24 Wrote:  
(07-13-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  This is how it looks. I know I can't fool no one inspector , but I really don't give a crapp .
I really shouldn't say that , but it's true.

There was another version of it in the drawing board with heather element to prevent unpleasant fuel knocking during cruising at no load in very cold weather, but seem I never gonna finish it .
Also there was a HE551V real feedback actuator position , but all is gonna go in the wastebasket.

I'm on the verge of giving up on all this nonsense going on in the industry.

Preacherboy, please except my apology for taking your thread into other direction.

No problem. There was someone here that was working with a turbo shop to come up with a "perfect" match for a conversion like this. Hope he chimes in. I'm thinking of using an HX55 because its smaller.......just thinking though.

I'm guessing your talking out me preacherboy, I don't remember reading about anybody else working on a custom turbo, I was working with a shop too make a better vgt and not a fixed vane unfortunately, there was a couple guys that suggested the hx60 but I'm after the stock look.

I did do a quick 20mins of searching and I think the hx55 is a tad on the small size for an reason able amount of power, so Id stick with the hx60 if your going fixed vane, the hx60 comes in a variety of different size so do some research to figure out with one suits you best cause again there's a bunch of different wheel choices and 3 different sizes exhaust housings thereaybe more but that's what I came up with in my twenty mins of curiosity lol.
replyreply
07-28-2016, (Subject: Replaced actuators.....now this...Need imput. ) 
I'm not a horsepower guy. I am all about fuel mileage so I dont need a big huffer. If it gives me better fuel mileage then I would put it on.
replyreply
The key is good airflow not psi. If you can make 150lbs per min at 20psi and it takes me 30psi to make 150lbs per min you are way better off no matter what you are looking for. It is all about backpressure vs drive pressure. You don't want big wheels on a low hp fuel milage seeking engine. You need it to spool fairly quickly. The problem is that you need it to be in its peek range at about 1400 engine rpm at about 150 mg/str. This is your loaded fueling on flat ground so if you can make the right amount of air to fuel ratio with very little backpressure you will have it made. The problem with the vgt on the newer engines is they take off great. But when it comes time to being loaded your at 2:1 ratio and can be as high as 4:1. So the harder you push it its like someone sliding a steel plate over your exhaust manifold. This turbo works ok if you only haul 10'000 in the trailer. If you haul heavy like 40'000 to permit loads forget it. Once that little vgt hits 30psi you are 3:1. You can feel the engine struggling to go. I think if the exhust housing ar ratio was better it would reduce some of this backpressure. Part of the reason the turbos are built this way is because of egr and dpf. Look at the time line of cummins. They didn't use vgt until egr came along. Egr came about they needed a way to control backpressure to force the exhaust gas to go into the intake. So with all this being said in the wrong thread it all comes down to the engines intended use and gearing. This is why it is hard to map a turbo with one file for all trucks. The cm871 turbo on the cm2250 works very well for heavy haul but hauling light it may not be the best choice. There is so much math and thiery with turbos it is it's own science.
replyreply
(07-28-2016 )gearhead Wrote:  The key is good airflow not psi. If you can make 150lbs per min at 20psi and it takes me 30psi to make 150lbs per min you are way better off no matter what you are looking for. It is all about backpressure vs drive pressure. You don't want big wheels on a low hp fuel milage seeking engine. You need it to spool fairly quickly. The problem is that you need it to be in its peek range at about 1400 engine rpm at about 150 mg/str. This is your loaded fueling on flat ground so if you can make the right amount of air to fuel ratio with very little backpressure you will have it made. The problem with the vgt on the newer engines is they take off great. But when it comes time to being loaded your at 2:1 ratio and can be as high as 4:1. So the harder you push it its like someone sliding a steel plate over your exhaust manifold. This turbo works ok if you only haul 10'000 in the trailer. If you haul heavy like 40'000 to permit loads forget it. Once that little vgt hits 30psi you are 3:1. You can feel the engine struggling to go. I think if the exhust housing ar ratio was better it would reduce some of this backpressure. Part of the reason the turbos are built this way is because of egr and dpf. Look at the time line of cummins. They didn't use vgt until egr came along. Egr came about they needed a way to control backpressure to force the exhaust gas to go into the intake. So with all this being said in the wrong thread it all comes down to the engines intended use and gearing. This is why it is hard to map a turbo with one file for all trucks. The cm871 turbo on the cm2250 works very well for heavy haul but hauling light it may not be the best choice. There is so much math and thiery with turbos it is it's own science.

Such great info, Gearhead

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.