Road diary
05-10-2020, (Subject: Road diary ) 
Road diary
Was running I-20 west today in TX. Nice day, no wind, good fuel mileage. Pulled in to small truck stop to take my 30 minutes break.
Oil field truck sitting between fuel pumps with hood up and diesel mechanic poking in truck fuse box. Came up to feed my curiosity and help if I can.
Red 871 engine, red FRC is on the driver and red flip-flops on the driver feet. Recently emigrated from Africa, 3 days as owner-operator, truck still with temporary dealer registration.
"What the matter with engine?"
"She wont start, fuel pump bad"
Diesel mechanic was on the phone searching for new gear pump.
"How do you know pump is bad?"
"Engine starts with ether but won't run on fuel"
"Will you mind if I hook up computer to check what is wrong?
Driver "Yes please if you have it"
Mechanic "It's fuel pump 100%, I have seen it many times before"
Hooked Insite oops, Engine shut down due to severe low coolant level.
"Have you checked coolant level?"
"It should be full" Driver climbing up to check coolant
"Yea, it's little bit low"
Little bit low was equal to 1.5 5gallons bucket of water. Low coolant signal gone and engine starts right up.
Diesel mechanic dropped his jaw.
Driver with face full of happiness start thanking me for saving him money.
Happy end?
No. Engine start pushing coolant out reservoir in idle.
Poor soul just week ago signed paperwork for truck "READY TO WORK" with credit card down payment.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Signature620 , kozakvod , hhow55 , t700 , Roysbigtoys , Volvo8873 , SquareOne
RE: Road diary
every mobile mechanic these days should have a laptop and software. That is how these engines work.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Volvo8873 , RocketScott
I'm so thankful for stories just like this. I don't feel one bit sorry for the guy. I don't for a second feel one bit bad. This need to happen more often.

Why would I feel that way?

Everything about the story!! From his flip flops that aren't any kind of work wear to he bought a truck on a credit card down payment shortly after he immigrated to America. He knows nothing of America let alone how the trucking industry works here. He got exactly what he deserved. He is absolutely unprepared to be a truck driver in general let alone an Owner Operator of the truck.

This is a true feel good story for the men and women that KNOW how hard this job is. That guys starry-eyed view of truck bit him right away. And I say good. It needs to happen more often.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , RocketScott , JMBT
And in that signed contract is probably an "AS IS" statement too.

In my feeble understanding of this problem of pushing coolant out the tank on idle...cracked head, or liner issue? Am I way off base?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
(05-10-2020 )kozakvod Wrote:  And in that signed contract is probably an "AS IS" statement too.

In my feeble understanding of this problem of pushing coolant out the tank on idle...cracked head, or liner issue? Am I way off base?
EGR cooler
Head
Head gasket
Liner
Or all the above.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: kozakvod

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.