CM871 kickin my Butt
06-18-2020, (Subject: CM871 kickin my Butt ) 
RE: CM871 kickin my Butt
(06-18-2020 )RustyWood Wrote:  It's so hard to decide what to do ? I really want to get it to Mr. Hagg for rebuild. I just don't trust anyone but Rawze and the recommendations of this Forum and Mr. Hagg... I don't yet have the confidence and/or Tooling or an indoor place to do it myself...

I look at the cost of renting another truck and even if I could rent a lowboy trailer, cause my Truck is too tall to go on my own Step Deck and using a rental truck to haul mine there, geez talk about dumping $$$.

How damaging would it be to bobtail this thing on 5 cylinders from North Idaho (Hayden) to Mr. Hagg's in Georgia ? If it's going to be rebuilt anyway does it matter or would it come apart and/or really ruin the whole engine or DPF/Dox with raw fuel ?

I wish I could stop the fueling to #3 Injector, and open #3 to just have the slug pumping aimlessly to just being a little load on the other 5, but there's no way I can see.

wow, I priced that sleeve puller tool Rawze used and not to mention any other tools needed I don't have, I'm only tooled for working on cars/pickups, I tried breaking loose one of my lugnuts with my 1/2" drive 36" extension and it only started bending.

I'm just in a pickle and trying to figure out how to get my truck to Georgia.

I spent some time in Mr Hag's shop, quite a few folks drove to him from as far away as California. Mr Hag has vehicles there for you to drive if you want to say stay at a local hotel, or they will take you to the airport and come back when it is finished. Me, having been down this road, trusting a local dealer to do my first in frame... I should have tied a rag to the coolant bottle and drove down there, or even put it on a drop deck and shipped it too him. Doing either of those two things would have been less expensive in the long run, not to mention the hits my health has taken over all of the stress of two in frames, two back to back in frames, the second one in Rawze's driveway.

Trust me, I know what I speak of, get it to Mr Hag. Don't be me.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RustyWood
I would stick a camera in 3 and if nothing was bouncing around myself I would limp nicely to hagg, rawze, or levers myself. Ied prefer rawzes myself as the food is out of this world and if your willing you can learn a ton about the engine, tuning, and electronics. But if you want hand it to haggs sit back relax and have it knocked out by the pros.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RustyWood , Waterloo
(06-18-2020 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  I would stick a camera in 3 and if nothing was bouncing around myself I would limp nicely to hagg, rawze, or levers myself. Ied prefer rawzes myself as the food is out of this world and if your willing you can learn a ton about the engine, tuning, and electronics. But if you want hand it to haggs sit back relax and have it knocked out by the pros.

Thanks Lonestar10, I would love to do the job with any of them, especially Rawze and learn tons, but I think he's busy & steered me to Mr. Hagg, as I'm sure he's in large demand and I know at his home he's in the elements like I am at home, surrounded by dirt & wind as he mentions that on PT1 of his rebuild video.

If Unilevers is in Camrose AB, has a facility and available for hire, that is only 560 miles from me and far closer than near 2900 miles to Haggai Diesel Repair in Griffin GA, (I think that's Mr. Hags shop right ?)
replyreply
Actually what i told him was ...

If you have the money and the means to get it down here, I would help you rebuild it in my driveway. Sounded like you are well skilled enough to do the job with just a little guidance.

- Being outside is also not any kind of problem. Plenty of people have done theirs here without any issues at all. An el-cheapo canope above the work area and just ensuring things are properly wiped down as they go back together, no big deal.

You just need ...

To be sure you have a secure means for buying whatever parts that are necessary ...

The time to do so ... it obviously takes a little longer when your doing it yourself vs. a shop.

Are able to turn your own wrenches to some medium degree, as I am not going to do the job for you, but mostly keep you from making mistakes and help out with the more skilled parts like precision machining, counter-boring the block etc. so that it is all done 100% right.

I also mentioned that Uni and Hag are also good choices as well if you just want to pay someone to knock it out instead... but it is up to you what you want to do.

Actually after the phone call, I though to myself that it would be nice to do one here in the driveway, have not done one this year with anyone yet.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RustyWood , Waterloo , Pd6cas2 , PuroCumminsPower
(06-18-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  Actually what i told him was ...

If you have the money and the means to get it down here, I would help you rebuild it in my driveway. Sounded like you are well skilled enough to do the job with just a little guidance.

- Being outside is also not any kind of problem. Plenty of people have done theirs here without any issues at all. An el-cheapo canope above the work area and just ensuring things are properly wiped down as they go back together, no big deal.

You just need ...

To be sure you have a secure means for buying whatever parts that are necessary ...

The time to do so ... it obviously takes a little longer when your doing it yourself vs. a shop.

Are able to turn your own wrenches to some medium degree, as I am not going to do the job for you, but mostly keep you from making mistakes and help out with the more skilled parts like precision machining, counter-boring the block etc. so that it is all done 100% right.

I also mentioned that Uni and Hag are also good choices as well if you just want to pay someone to knock it out instead... but it is up to you what you want to do.

Actually after the phone call, I though to myself that it would be nice to do one here in the driveway, have not done one this year with anyone yet.

Thanks for the conversation Rawze, I will get the bore-scope and investigate that cylinder with pictures to post, and we'll see what it looks like and if we can determine if I'm safe to Bobtail it on 5 cylinders across country to you. It does run and rev pretty good for being down a cylinder, each thing I've done has improved it, but I'm glad you pointed out to me the popping sound in the intake I DO hear when disconnected from the intercooler/charge and how you said since it sounded metallic when it went ca-blewy, then faded away was probably something like a valve lip/piece coming out and probably what took out the Turbo. See that experience is priceless, I'm used to naturally asperatedV8's and didn't jump on thinking of that like you did, and why I want the learning experience of having your guidance to rebuild it. I do have my own business visa and can order what we'll need.

I'll be talking to ya, and Thanks again !!

User's Signature: 2009 Kenworth T2000, 13sp 3.55's. CM871 CPL2732. IMA Old Hot Rodder !
replyreply
I would take Rawze up on the invitation Rusty... We in framed my motor successfully, just bring your favorite wrenches and be ready to work. It was an education that I will never forget, and it was well worth it in the long run. And the motor is running like a fine Swiss watch, better than new in many respects. Just make sure you have a bit extra cash for the unexpected, when you start digging into things you find all sorts of stuff that needs to be taken care of. Rawze will help, but he is not going to be under your truck, he was there to machine the block and help set the pistons, and head, the rest is on you. Just use two ramps to lift the front end. ;-)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RustyWood , Pd6cas2 , PuroCumminsPower
06-19-2020, (Subject: CM871 kickin my Butt ) 
(06-18-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  I would take Rawze up on the invitation Rusty... We in framed my motor successfully, just bring your favorite wrenches and be ready to work. It was an education that I will never forget, and it was well worth it in the long run. And the motor is running like a fine Swiss watch, better than new in many respects. Just make sure you have a bit extra cash for the unexpected, when you start digging into things you find all sorts of stuff that needs to be taken care of. Rawze will help, but he is not going to be under your truck, he was there to machine the block and help set the pistons, and head, the rest is on you. Just use two ramps to lift the front end. ;-)

I am going to take him up on it, we chatted on the phone and to verify if it's good to bobtail across country I'm getting a bore-scope as he suggested to really inspect that cylinder and post some pictures so we can determine if it's safe to drive or I need to haul the truck somehow, so I'm also going to look into if I can rent a truck and lowboy removable gooseneck trailer.
Rawze told me quite a bit about what you went through with your first inframe and it not lasting long, so yea, I don't want to risk any shops around here touching my truck.

User's Signature: 2009 Kenworth T2000, 13sp 3.55's. CM871 CPL2732. IMA Old Hot Rodder !
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , PuroCumminsPower
06-19-2020, (Subject: CM871 kickin my Butt ) 
(06-18-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  Actually after the phone call, I though to myself that it would be nice to do one here in the driveway, have not done one this year with anyone yet.

shoot, if I had the money in hand right now I'd love to learn and get my hands dirty inframing my engine with Mr. Rawze! As it is i'm just getting ahead after the troubles that led to my first visit to GA (dragged out by the covid scare). Right now I'm hoping to make it to the fall before seriously looking at getting it done. Maybe Rawze will be bored then...

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
07-27-2020, (Subject: CM871 kickin my Butt ) 
./uploads/202007/post_3855_1595903010_d372efb9b0123e34f6d3232ff88b1632.jpg
Well here I am still waiting, (weeks now) for my Cam Wedges and Crank Pin to get here. According to procedure I must have them in place and they must remain in place before removing Cam Gears to get my Head off.

There's information on backing off the Cam Scissor Gear bolts, I haven't taken outer cap off yet to see if that's what mine are, but there's no explanation as to why this design was used?

Hey Rawze, was this to unload pressures between the Gears ? I'm trying to understand why the heck these truck Cams wouldn't just have straight gears, since you know these so well, maybe you can explain the purpose to Cummins using Scissor Gears ?

I suspect I have the original Balancer, so I think I'll be ordering one of those as well.
Do you recommend replacing the Cam and Crank Position sensors since I have it this far stripped?

Thanks,
Russ
./uploads/202007/post_3855_1595903654_3ee5f2552e1525e6fc878ef5d28b5d9d.jpg

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.