Steer axle
05-24-2020, (Subject: Steer axle ) 
RE: Steer axle
(05-23-2020 )74bassman Wrote:  I just considering replacing just because age of truck. I was at the stealership getting afew parts, and had the parts guy give me a copy of the illustration. He is the one who mention that on my Henderickson axle that the king pins are non replaceable.

I also have hendrickson. The king pins are huge compared to other akles. -- Measure the backlash and if it is out of spec, then the brass bushings need replacing only. - global parts sells the kit.

I have the (quite expensive) reemer to re-machine the hendrickson bushings. You have to know what your doing on those to replace them properly, they can be tricky. The new bushings need precision machining to make them fit the king pins, they come under-sized so that they can be adjusted to fit per individual application. Most mechanics absolutely hate replacing them on a Hendrickson, as it takes some precision machining work to get it right. (I.E.> Not meant for the average hammer-happy, air-gun-happy idiot).

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
(05-23-2020 )74bassman Wrote:  Thanks Waterloo over all how do you like the Monroe, how often are you replacing them?

When I was running, I would replace the Monroe shocks say every 18 months, I never pulled anything heavy, and less miles than most OTR guys. Two years on the Gabriels, never had either brand fail.
replyreply
I think our axles are different? You have the air bags, and I Don' t just the single leaf spring. The parts guy did say everything around the Kingpin was replaceable. This is also coming from the same guy who wanted to charge me $11 a piece for washers for the front shocks hardware.
replyreply
I have the single spring also. they're called monoleaf springs. I also have found a supplier that can ship me both cheaper than OEM wants.
replyreply
(05-23-2020 )74bassman Wrote:  I just considering replacing just because age of truck. I was at the stealership getting afew parts, and had the parts guy give me a copy of the illustration. He is the one who mention that on my Henderickson axle that the king pins are non replaceable.

Yes there are some that the whole axle has to be replaced if the pins are wore. Most of the ones I have did just needed the bushing kit as the pins measured fine.
replyreply
(05-24-2020 )Nilao Wrote:  I have the single spring also. they're called monoleaf springs. I also have found a supplier that can ship me both cheaper than OEM wants.
I know mine were a lot more through the dealership and didn't even make 12000lbs. That's why I went with a spring shop. We went with 6320 per side which worked great.
replyreply
05-25-2020, (Subject: Steer axle ) 
I don't know about other brands of trucks but class 8 Paccar trucks can be ordered 12k,13k,14k,16k,18k,20k,22k and 24K front springs maybe some models can not get all the ratings but more than likely you can add them anytime .
replyreply
(05-24-2020 )74bassman Wrote:  I think our axles are different? You have the air bags, and I Don' t ...

just an FYI for future reference:

It very well could be that they are the same, or very similar. The axle is not specific to any type of leaf springs, air bag suspension, etc. .... It is simply the axle itself. - I have seen those same hendrickson axles just like mine on a variety of trucks with a variety of different setups.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
(05-25-2020 )arch_stanton Wrote:  I don't know about other brands of trucks but class 8 Paccar trucks can be ordered 12k,13k,14k,16k,18k,20k,22k and 24K front springs maybe some models can not get all the ratings but more than likely you can add them anytime .
Yes, you are right and mine is a 12k... but. When I started checking out factory replacement springs it came with 5200lbs per side spring rating. That's not 12k, sure the axle might be but the springs are not.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.