Transmission leaking
05-24-2020, (Subject: Transmission leaking ) 
Transmission leaking
Have inspect under truck today and found my tranny start leaking from splitter. Can i fix it by myself without taking tranny down.
Appreciate any advise. Oil level still Ok but oil is foamy. Can I drive it back to home or place where to fix?

replyreply
RE: Transmission leaking
(05-24-2020 )snailexpress Wrote:  Have inspect under truck today and found my tranny start leaking from splitter. Can i fix it by myself without taking tranny down.
Appreciate any advise. Oil level still Ok but oil is foamy. Can I drive it back to home or place where to fix?
That's actually the range change cylinder. The auxiliary section of the transmission needs to be removed to disassemble. It's only a weep so I would think keep an eye on the oil level and get to somewhere you can repair it. Just check there's no underlying issue. By the looks of the amount of oil it would take a long time to affect the level.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
(05-24-2020 )Aussie Steve Wrote:  
(05-24-2020 )snailexpress Wrote:  Have inspect under truck today and found my tranny start leaking from splitter. Can i fix it by myself without taking tranny down.
That's actually the range change cylinder. The auxiliary section of the transmission needs to be removed to disassemble. It's only a weep so I would think keep an eye on the oil level and get to somewhere you can repair it. Just check there's no underlying issue. By the looks of the amount of oil it would take a long time to affect the level.
I don't know how badly leak is. It's fresh as just yesterday everything was dry here. Cleaned area with brake cleaner to check where is leak exactly. In case I need to fill up can I add regular gear oil to synthetic?
replyreply
(05-24-2020 )snailexpress Wrote:  
(05-24-2020 )Aussie Steve Wrote:  
I don't know how badly leak is. It's fresh as just yesterday everything was dry here. Cleaned area with brake cleaner to check where is leak exactly. In case I need to fill up can I add regular gear oil to synthetic?
No don't mix mineral and synthetic
replyreply
05-25-2020, (Subject: Transmission leaking ) 
(05-24-2020 )Aussie Steve Wrote:  No don't mix mineral and synthetic

personally, even if they are compatable, the main purpose and reason of a synthetic is the viscosity stability through a wide range of temperatures. - Mixing syn with non-syn kinda starts to defeat the reason for using the syn in the first place.

That being said, not that you would always want to .. but in a pinch, or if you had a specific reason to ...

PAO rated synthetic oils can be mixed with non-synthetic. The 'Group IV' rating specifies that an oil is a PAO type oil. Here is a chart of 'Group IV' gear oils that came up on a search. Some even state specifically that they are PAO in the chart as well...
https://pdf4pro.com/amp/view/synthetic-l...b3e6d.html

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I may be wrong but I don't see any reason that can't be pulled apart on the truck with the trans and auxiliary section in place. Drop the drive line to get up in there. And it should just unbolt and then seal with RTV silcone on the plate or replace the oring gasket if thats what that has behind it. There may be a "doughnut" rubber piston behind there that can be unbolted and replaced. Some times air and oil sneak by and get pushed out when they get worn or frozen.

Also make sure that isn't oil getting slung off the transmission output shaft seal. It may be a good idea to just throw a new seal in the tail shaft while you're up there any way.
replyreply
It worth putting in sysentheic over mineral ?
replyreply
(05-25-2020 )74bassman Wrote:  It worth putting in sysentheic over mineral ?
Roadranger manual says synthetic is #1, you can use mineral only if oil temperature stays under 220. Otherwise mineral oil properties will be lost due to decomposition.
replyreply
what different brands and weights?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.