Insite says turbo spinning when truck isn't running
05-26-2020, (Subject: Insite says turbo spinning when truck isn't running ) 
Insite says turbo spinning when truck isn't running
2019 X15 performance 565 h.p. factory stock 75,000mi. I'm getting charge flow and turbo speed codes and insite shows the turbo spinning even when the truck isn't running. I pulled the speed sensor out, no change, unplugged it, no change. Tried a new one, no change. Re flashed ecm, no change. At this point I'm thinking it's gotta be the harness from the speed sensor to the ecm or the ecm itself right?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
RE: Insite says turbo spinning when truck isn't running
(05-26-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  2019 X15 performance 565 h.p. factory stock 75,000mi. I'm getting charge flow and turbo speed codes and insite shows the turbo spinning even when the truck isn't running. I pulled the speed sensor out, no change, unplugged it, no change. Tried a new one, no change. Re flashed ecm, no change. At this point I'm thinking it's gotta be the harness from the speed sensor to the ecm or the ecm itself right?
I think turbo speed sensor wire is shielded. Could be bad shield grounding somewhere.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98
Some ecm programs will estimate the rpm of the turbo if the sensor fails. - Until it sees a good sensor, it will not jump back to using the actual sensor, and have a low-default value that it reads all the time. something like 8k-rpm or something if memory serves me right.

Put in the new speed sensor and run it for about 20 minutes or so and go from there.
Like snailexpress says, could also be the wiring in the harness somewhere.

I have helped a couple others who had that same issue, no one could find it, and ended up turning off the option for turbo speed estimation using C0alterm. it is actually an option that can be turned off so that you only get and see what the actual sensor is reading.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , marek4792
05-28-2020, (Subject: Insite says turbo spinning when truck isn't running ) 
I installed the new speed sensor and drove the truck for about 5 hours and the check engine light stayed on the entire time. Today I drove for about 30 minutes and all of the sudden the cel went off!! Drove for over 2 hours and light stayed off, I got back to the shop hooked up insite, turbo speed at 0 with engine off!! So it must have been the speed sensor. This is the second replacement sensor on this engine(75,000 mi.) I wonder if cummins got a bad run of them ?? This saga actually started here http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=5249
I'm wondering if the factory routing of the sensor cable is to close to the turbo and it doesn't hold up long to the heat?? Although if that were the case we probably would have heard about it by now from other X15 owners/drivers. I don't know but either way I routed it further from the turbo housing this time.

replyreply
(05-28-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  I installed the new speed sensor and drove the truck for about 5 hours and the check engine light stayed on the entire time. Today I drove for about 30 minutes and all of the sudden the cel went off!! Drove for over 2 hours and light stayed off, I got back to the shop hooked up insite, turbo speed at 0 with engine off!! So it must have been the speed sensor. This is the second replacement sensor on this engine(75,000 mi.) I wonder if cummins got a bad run of them ?? This saga actually started here http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=5249
I'm wondering if the factory routing of the sensor cable is to close to the turbo and it doesn't hold up long to the heat?? Although if that were the case we probably would have heard about it by now from other X15 owners/drivers. I don't know but either way I routed it further from the turbo housing this time.
I don't think the sensor is bad. I had similar problem with my 871. Mechanic was working on the front and top of the engine. After he finished engine set CEL and Insite said was bad turbo speed sensor. Zero RPM reading. We checked wiring first as it going thru area where mechanic was working, everything looks good. Next day I went to Cummins for new sensor but when I was back old sensor start working and was working rest of engine life. Have trip back to return this expensive sensor.
replyreply
(05-28-2020 )snailexpress Wrote:  
(05-28-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  I installed the new speed sensor and drove the truck for about 5 hours and the check engine light stayed on the entire time. Today I drove for about 30 minutes and all of the sudden the cel went off!! Drove for over 2 hours and light stayed off, I got back to the shop hooked up insite, turbo speed at 0 with engine off!! So it must have been the speed sensor. This is the second replacement sensor on this engine(75,000 mi.) I wonder if cummins got a bad run of them ?? This saga actually started here http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=5249
I don't think the sensor is bad. I had similar problem with my 871. Mechanic was working on the front and top of the engine. After he finished engine set CEL and Insite said was bad turbo speed sensor. Zero RPM reading. We checked wiring first as it going thru area where mechanic was working, everything looks good. Next day I went to Cummins for new sensor but when I was back old sensor start working and was working rest of engine life. Have trip back to return this expensive sensor.

Geeez...... well I guess we'll see but I've been messing around with this thing, shaking wires, looking at plugs, etc. And nothing ever happened until I replaced the sensor again and ran it for a while.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.