Fuel filter change, now no start
05-27-2020, (Subject: Fuel filter change, now no start ) 
Fuel filter change, now no start
Looking forward to getting her making money again after spending the last couple weeks running through my fix it list while freight has been slow. Finished up last night with a PM. Now it won't start.

I replaced the fuel filters, let it prime several times like I usually do...I did not pre fill the filters (should I be?) When I try to crank it, then prime it afterwards, it sounds as if it's refilling the filters during the prime (Gurgling/loading sound). Filters are on good and tight, not missing the seals or anything like that.

Lift pump was replaced a couple years back, I will be confirming I have fuel movement out of the IFSM today. Fuel lines were all replaced at that time. I'm kind of thinking it's the gear pump, so I'll scan it with insite and try to see what my cranking fuel pressure is. Gear pump is still original. None of the work I did to the truck was engine related except the PM (front springs, clutch adjustment, etc).

What gets me is, it drove here fine. Never had an issue with it before. Is it common that they crap out during a PM? Could I have prevented this by prefilling the filters maybe? Or is the pump dying in my driveway just luck? Anything else to check, like a check valve maybe, while I'm there?

Starter seems kind of weak now so it'll be getting a new one of those as well as checking the cables. Got it charging up at the moment.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
RE: Fuel filter change, now no start
If it has been sitting,...

turn the engine by hand and see if it is harder then normal to turn over. If it is then remove the belts and see if an alternator or water pump bearing is rusted up. Same for turbo turbine. check it too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
Also check voltage while cranking. You mentioned the starter being 'weak', but you could possibly have an issue with one or more of your batteries depending on there age. See how far it drops when cranking. You may just have a low voltage issue causing the no-start.

----> BTW , a weak starter will pull a $hitload of amperage when compared to a new, healthy unit
replyreply
(05-27-2020 )dhirocz Wrote:  Looking forward to getting her making money again after spending the last couple weeks running through my fix it list while freight has been slow. Finished up last night with a PM. Now it won't start.

I replaced the fuel filters, let it prime several times like I usually do...I did not pre fill the filters (should I be?) When I try to crank it, then prime it afterwards, it sounds as if it's refilling the filters during the prime (Gurgling/loading sound). Filters are on good and tight, not missing the seals or anything like that.

Lift pump was replaced a couple years back, I will be confirming I have fuel movement out of the IFSM today. Fuel lines were all replaced at that time. I'm kind of thinking it's the gear pump, so I'll scan it with insite and try to see what my cranking fuel pressure is. Gear pump is still original. None of the work I did to the truck was engine related except the PM (front springs, clutch adjustment, etc).

What gets me is, it drove here fine. Never had an issue with it before. Is it common that they crap out during a PM? Could I have prevented this by prefilling the filters maybe? Or is the pump dying in my driveway just luck? Anything else to check, like a check valve maybe, while I'm there?

Starter seems kind of weak now so it'll be getting a new one of those as well as checking the cables. Got it charging up at the moment.
I don't never ever not pre fill my filters. In fact I always start her first and let her run a bit. Not to long, longer if I'm doing the oil too. I saw a place not pre fill an oil filter on someone's truck once.... scary. That's why I always do my own, you can't always tell a clown by their shoes. My lift pump went before, I carry a can of spray silicone. Gave her a little hit and fired right up. A old time said it's better then E, you just have to have the can that says highly flammable.
replyreply
(05-27-2020 )dhirocz Wrote:  ...I'm kind of thinking it's the gear pump, so I'll...

Word of advice for the gear pump. Mine went out and I got a reman from the steelership. we months later I had to pay the hook to get me out of the highway in Pa. And we had to tow the trailer separately, 800 total. It turned into a total mess with me towing the truck only again. The pump was under warranty but I had to pay labor. That pump lasted a little over a year and I started getting low fuel pressure codes. The pump again, this time I changed it at home and bought a brand new Cummins pump that truck pro ordered for me. The factory one lasted about nine years.
replyreply
(05-27-2020 )Ricky Wrote:  Word of advice for the gear pump. Mine went out and I got a reman from the steelership. we months later I had to pay the hook to get me out of the highway in Pa. And we had to tow the trailer separately, 800 total. It turned into a total mess with me towing the truck only again. The pump was under warranty but I had to pay labor. That pump lasted a little over a year and I started getting low fuel pressure codes. The pump again, this time I changed it at home and bought a brand new Cummins pump that truck pro ordered for me. The factory one lasted about nine years.
Not we months... 11 months
replyreply
Davco filter? Even the slightest little kink in one of those o-rings and she will not start.
replyreply
No davco, but it does have a prefilter on it that was also replaced.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
if it does not turn over fast enough, all the troubleshooting and testing in the world will not get it going. - if it is sluggish then it simply will not fire off. - you mentioned it was sluggish, so Find out why like i mentioned above.

next -- http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid41020

also, have you bled the ports at the gear pump?--- at both locations while the electric pump was running??

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.