Disappearing coolant
07-15-2016, (Subject: Disappearing coolant ) 
Disappearing coolant
Hello there wise council, I need your help.
I have an 09/Pete/387 with isx , and all of a sudden yesterday and today, I am loosing coolant somewhere, while driving. I added 1/2 gallon yesterday, and 2 1/2 gallons earlier today, have been stuck in traffic for a couple of hours, this morning, but I do not seem to be able to see any leaks, or signs of coolant in my oil and such?? Any ideas?? Be gentle, if you can, I know just enough to be dangerous......
replyreply
RE: Disappearing coolant
Most likely egr
replyreply
(07-15-2016 )Sasquatch Wrote:  Hello there wise council, I need your help.
I have an 09/Pete/387 with isx , and all of a sudden yesterday and today, I am loosing coolant somewhere, while driving. I added 1/2 gallon yesterday, and 2 1/2 gallons earlier today, have been stuck in traffic for a couple of hours, this morning, but I do not seem to be able to see any leaks, or signs of coolant in my oil and such?? Any ideas?? Be gentle, if you can, I know just enough to be dangerous......

* Do a pressure test of the system and look for leaks.

* Check to see if pressure is building in the system when idling and/or when you get it under a load.

* Check the inside cover of the crank case filter to see if moisture/coolant is steaming out.

* With that much coolant loss, check the oil level in the engine to ensure it is not going UP.

* Check the oil level in the transmission. Petes are notorious for transmission cooler going bad and dumping coolant in transmission and destroying it.

* check for steam out the tail pipe.

* Check for water in the air tanks.

* Do an EGR cooler leak test ( https://youtu.be/tNmQnAJzmVo )

2.5 gallons is a VERY SERIOUS LEAK!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
OK, well after I picked my self up off the railroad track, waiting for the train...
I started poking around a little deeper since I had delivered my load, and as I was rechecking what I could , I found that the line where my apu coolant lines split off, the "y" connector that joins those lines in, one of the hose clamps was loose just enough that there was a little bit of coolant on the ground under the cab on the passenger side just back beneath the firewall. I didn't see it earlier, when I grasped this, quite a bit off coolant began running down. Not sure how it was loose, but I snugged that up and so far there are no drips, or streams. But I did check crankcase cover and did not find any gunk, I will get around to checking those other things as soon as I can. Thank You again for your insight into these matters. By the way the truck is running good, and after the oil change, my oil pressure went up some, and the engine got a little quieter.Do you have a video that shows practice application of how to properly use the boost and pyro , and when to shift to get the best performance from the engine, and fuel mileage?? Lol!!! Just when I think I'm getting the hang of it, the gauge jumps up and laughs at me!!!!
replyreply
Maybe consider adding a 2nd hose clamp next to the one that was loose. Tighten both of them down nice and snug and you probably won't have anymore problems there again.
replyreply
08-09-2016, (Subject: Disappearing coolant ) 
Whew! When I was losing a lot of coolant, my oil analysis came back with worrisome information. Ended up being the EGR cooler to the tune of $4376.
replyreply
(08-09-2016 )DrivingZiggy Wrote:  Whew! When I was losing a lot of coolant, my oil analysis came back with worrisome information. Ended up being the EGR cooler to the tune of $4376.

HOLY shi#t!!!!! $4376? Did you do a leak down test on your own? The dealer got me for $2500 for a new EGR cooler on my CM-871 when it was a bad clamp! Still pissed about that... Dude, I hope you did not get taken... Well, $4376 you did... Watch the videos Rawze has put up and buy some tools. A few hundred here and there is a helluva lot cheaper than these damn dealerships.
replyreply
(08-09-2016 )DrivingZiggy Wrote:  Whew! When I was losing a lot of coolant, my oil analysis came back with worrisome information. Ended up being the EGR cooler to the tune of $4376.

You got HOSED!!!! ---- but then again maybe he likes giving his hard earned money away to crooks.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Yeah, that was the Cummins shop in New Orleans. I wanted to do it myself since I've gained new confidence since joining this site. But I couldn't even find it even though I knew where it was! Now that the new one is in and is not red, it's easy to see. If it ever happens again I'll be able to do it.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.