DPF filter took a dump
06-17-2020, (Subject: DPF filter took a dump ) 
RE: DPF filter took a dump
(06-17-2020 )JimT Wrote:  You'll still want to investigate what might have caused the damage to the original DPF. They don't usually crack or disintegrate for no good reason.

I started using the max mileage fuel additive. On the advice of some polish dude that I met at the shop in ND. He swore by it. The filter literally fell apart as I finished the rather expensive gallon. Which was about 3 months. The gallon was 281 bucks.

I checked my records, the filter has about 730,000 miles on it. 600,000 of which the egr temp unplugged and egr valve physically blocked.

my old filter, pictured as is removed from truck by me.

cummins new or refurbished filter...2200 bucks.

the bottom end of my old filter.

and my DOC.

doc

Other than the bottom falling out theres hardly any soot or ash, I expected 2 inches of coal on the top of the filter from all the horror stories I've heard.

Anyway the truck is going back together tomorrow, then I am taking it in for an annual dot inspection, I will see how it runs.
replyreply
06-18-2020, (Subject: DPF filter took a dump ) 
The one end where it is all blown out .... that is the end where half the holes are supposed to be blocked off by this reddish-coloured powder inside every other passageway.

looks just just like when someone tries to clean the filter with a pressure washer or some other water-based method at some point in its past... puts it back on and it blows out the backside due due steam and pressure once it gets hot again.

at least, that is what it looks like any ways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Hi Rawze. The filter was installed in Northwestern Cummins 750,000 miles ago, and it has never been opened again. The turbo has been replaced two times, but the filter was never touched and came out of the truck as is.

Either the fuel borne catalyst weakened the filter or I just let it run too long without cleaning it.

Hell I took my DOC into the official volvo truck shop yesterday and they told me it was fine, no need to bake it.

The original DPF was cracked because I had a leaky egr cooler, I installed a new bulletproof cooler and a diy baffle on the egr elbow pipe leading to the air intake. So no water is making into the exhaust...

So not sure what is going on...
replyreply
HOW did you know the back end of the filter blew out after using that fuel additive? I don't understand how a fuel additive would have any effect on the filter unless you're saying that during the regen when fuel is shot into the doc it some how caused the problem?

I have to hand it to you, you are determined to stay on the right side of the epa. If my filter was blown out like that I would just finished the job and hollowed them all out and deleted that sorry piece of crap aftertreatment, but then again, that's just me.
replyreply
So I installed the new dpf filter and test drove it down my street, both regen lights are off on the dashboard. Obviously I bobtailed it, so tomorrow I will know how it runs with a trailer.
replyreply
(06-18-2020 )kozakvod Wrote:  HOW did you know the back end of the filter blew out after using that fuel additive? I don't understand how a fuel additive would have any effect on the filter unless you're saying that during the regen when fuel is shot into the doc it some how caused the problem?

I have to hand it to you, you are determined to stay on the right side of the epa. If my filter was blown out like that I would just finished the job and hollowed them all out and deleted that sorry piece of crap aftertreatment, but then again, that's just me.

I do not know it was the additive, the regen light came on right as I finished using the additive. It probably is a coincidence that the dpf filter died as I started using the additive.
replyreply
Bullet Proof EGR Cooler... Probably not the wisest decision. How long has that been on the motor? And 750,000 miles on the same DPF, you are lucky you have only lost two turbos...
replyreply
06-19-2020, (Subject: DPF filter took a dump ) 
(06-18-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  Bullet Proof EGR Cooler... Probably not the wisest decision. How long has that been on the motor? And 750,000 miles on the same DPF, you are lucky you have only lost two turbos...

The first turbo I lost because vgt section turned to coal, everything was oem stock back then, other than the bulletproof cooler, which northwest Cummins had no issue installing. They did try to convince me to go with a cummins updated cooler, but I didn't believe them. In hindsight I should have listened to them.

Second turbo was fine, the stupid shop I went to diagnose a chirping noise, told me that my turbo bearings were bad.

So they installed a cheap turbo from ebay or some such, this turbo lasted 9 months and quit. While the chirping noise never went away.

I went back to my usual shop and they found that the exhaust manifold gasket had a leak and was chirping.

In other words, I replaced a perfectly fine turbo with a Chinese knock off because the shop couldn't see the exhaust leak.

My usual shop replaced the gasket and installed a rema cummins turbo.

The turbo that the other shop installed had no stamp or parts number on it. The mechanic said he'd never seen it before.

The other shop never told me where they got it.
replyreply
06-19-2020, (Subject: DPF filter took a dump ) 
(06-19-2020 )Hush Wrote:  ... the bulletproof cooler

I just want to clarify for ppl reading this thread and who do not know that those bulletproof coolers are well known to kill an ISX. It is likely good that you have a block-plate installed to not allow hot gasses intot he intake with that thing. Here is a fine example of one of those coolers destroyign someone's truck...

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...02#pid2802
and another related post..
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...33#pid2233

-- the things people do when they simply do not know... and the stealersh4its are just as guilty for pushing some of these products too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.