DPF filter took a dump
06-10-2020, (Subject: DPF filter took a dump ) 
RE: DPF filter took a dump
Hi Rawze thank you for the response.

The rods and bearings where replaced at 850,000 miles, among many other things.

Recently a brass fitting broke in the fuel pump, I had to tow it to a shop in ND. They had a hell a time finding the problem. They checked the injectors and compression and they where surprised how good everything worked.

Everyone though I'd blown the motor up.
Turned out to be a simple fitting.

Also the motor was running extremely rough, I spend a fortune on shops diagnosing the problems, with no results. I was ready to rebuild it, as I thought it might blow up at any hill. The way it sounded.

Believe it or not, uses ½ gallon of oil per 25,000 miles.

Well, I found the problem couple of months ago that changed my view of the engine. I had a bad u-joint. Lol. Somehow everyone was missing it, a spontaneous out of desperation stop at Love's found the problem.

Point is, the engine is smooth! Incredible SMOOTH. The whole time the rough running and the noise was from the bad u-joint and not the engine.

So I decided to go for 1,600,000 miles.

I have a boost gauge, and two pyrometers, lol. With the magic plug unplugged, I am getting 26-28 psi boost on higher elevations and 23-25 on lower elevations. Perfectly usable for me. I drive slow, 62 mph under power.

The pyrometers are for the turbo and the exhaust gas, the turbo has never seen Temps higher than 800 degrees. And this is usually when pulling hills, avarage Temps are 500-600. I also don't shut my truck off until turbo is below 250. I installed a fan switch to force the fan on anytime I want.

The point is I don't have the cash for a brand new filter and doc, due to spending a lot of money on the rebuild driveline and the fuel management system.

I don't want to go completely demandated, as the dpf does an extremely good job of scrubbing the soot out of the exhaust and the passive regens clean it out pretty good. So the plan is to buy a new dpf filter.

But as a stop gap measure, if I hole the dpf, will it further derate?

As after years of driving, I discovered it has two derates, the first one drops it about 10 percent as you pointed out.

On top of this, if any fault happens in the system, who knows what it is, it derates to about 11 psi.

So, I was wondering if anyone did this, hollowed out the dpf and drove with the imap sensor disconnect, did it derate down 11 psi or like usual? Say 26 psi. Or am I missing here?
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
DPF filter took a dump - Hush - 06-10-2020,
RE: DPF filter took a dump - Hush - 06-10-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.