Dual alternator setup?
06-16-2020, (Subject: Dual alternator setup? ) 
Dual alternator setup?
Anyone running a dual setup?
replyreply
06-16-2020, (Subject: Dual alternator setup? ) 
RE: Dual alternator setup?
Sure my truck alternator and my Apu alternator I don't see any reason to have two when you can just buy a bigger amperage one and not have to make some funky Fab system you can get almost four hundred amp alternators

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: smorgan87 , Waterloo
06-17-2020, (Subject: Dual alternator setup? ) 
What are you looking to do? Or should I ask power? I have the standard el cheapo AC Delco 165 amp alternator on my ProStar... But, I have a 4 amplifier stereo system in the truck, it can move the volt meter needle. What I did, was to install a Group 31 AGM battery in my sleeper closet. This is the one I bought... https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdet...li31agmdpm

Yes, pricey, but it will handle all of my in cab needs.

I have it on a battery isolator, this one... https://amzn.to/2Y7DI4A

I have this set up so that when my ignition is off, nothing draws from the battery in the sleeper, but going down the road it is charging off of the alternator under the hood, or when parked, off of the Tri-Pac, as long as the key is on.

I just purchased the above battery, and four new Duracell wet cells for the battery box. So far, so good, now I need a new refrigerator... The hits just keep coming.

And I have run this setup for a few years, I went and upgraded the sleeper battery to the group 31 after the little car battery gave up the ghost after five years.

The nice thing about the AGM in the sleeper, if the batteries die, even that little AGM car battery would start my truck.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: BIASRacing , Pd6cas2
06-19-2020, (Subject: Dual alternator setup? ) 
(06-17-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  What are you looking to do? Or should I ask power?

Ive got a taramps smart3 does 3k at 2ohms. If i turn it up I can get it to clip off. Moves the needle past 13. And I'd like to add a second one lol, and my amp for the mids and highs isnt hooked up yet. Im.pondering lithium, ive also looked at the 350a alts.
replyreply
For quick jumps in voltage ied more or less recommend capacitors.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
(06-19-2020 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  For quick jumps in voltage ied more or less recommend capacitors.

Yeh but the capacitors wont handle the amp load. I'd need a ton, I want the reserve to not be a draw on the system like caps are. With the dual alternator setup the second alt would be dedicated to the system
replyreply
(06-16-2020 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  Sure my truck alternator and my Apu alternator I don't see any reason to have two when you can just buy a bigger amperage one and not have to make some funky Fab system you can get almost four hundred amp alternators
I don't have an apu. The reason would be so that I can leave the electrical stock, and have the second alt power the system
replyreply
I could grab a 350a alternator an isolator and then run a lithium bank for the audio system.
replyreply
Back in the 80's people used to put 6 or 8 or even sometimes 10+ alternators of 250-350-amps or more on their trucks for big-power CB and ham radio amplifiers. -- people used to do it all the time. They also used to run 6-volt + 8-volt farm-tractor batteries in series combinations to to get the voltage up to 15.5 volts for extra power handling too. It was not so unusual to see a truck with 25,000 or even as much as 40,000 watts RF power transmitters in them back then with all custom built components.

It is just a matter of finding the room, making the brackets, getting belts, adding wiring, etc.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: BIASRacing

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.