Dual alternator setup?
06-19-2020, (Subject: Dual alternator setup? ) 
RE: Dual alternator setup?
I found this video, rather technical, but very informative. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxMGPhNASl4

I cannot imagine taking that amp to clip, I think something is not right in your setup. Where are your gains set? And the crossover? How about the head unit? Line levels? Are you running the crossover from the head or using the amps built in crossover?

I would figure that out first...

As far as powering the system, give us a break down of what you are running. Any other amps in the system? Speakers? What brand sub? Cabling?

I'm running oversized 1-0 AWG copper strand welding cable into the cab/house battery and up to the amps. The Alpine S series class D amps are fed with 4 AWG copper off of the 1-0 AWG. Speaker cable is all 12 AWG copper.

The sub, which is under my bunk is a RE SXX 1200 watt 10" dual voice coil @ 2 ohm, in a custom double baffle ported box, as large as I could go due to size limitations. The amps are all bridged to get maximum output to the speakers. I have three sets of Alpine R series speakers, one set are component up in the door, tweeters are mounted in the dash.

Line voltages from the HU to the amps are running at 4 volts. The battery isolator protecting the X2Power Deep Cycle Group 31 AGM battery is rated at 500 amps. There is an inline fuse in the battery box, and up in my wall that is accessible but not seen.

I bought the longest twisted pair interconnects I could find, and ran those as to isolate them from any electronics/wiring in the cab. Everything is ran through a dedicated fuse panel, and direct wired, trying to keep as much as possible off of the actual cab circuitry.

I was having issues with the little Alpine mono amp, so I removed that from the system, it is now just a dummy up on the wall. After say two hours, she would get hot pushing that RE sub and go into protect, not clip, protect mode. So, I pulled the old Polk PDA 1000.1 out of retirement and have had no issues. I thought I would gamble with the little Alpine Mono amp, and of course it did what I thought it would, oh well...

I'm thinking something is not right in your setup, these class D amps are very efficient and not the energy hogs that the old class A/B amps are. The reason I went Class D in the truck and did my best to stay away from the larger A/B Mosfett amps. That X2Power Marine Deep Cycle Group 31 house battery keeps everything stable.

Give us a breakdown of the system of yours. Settings too, you should not be clipping that amp.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/202006/post_218_1592573843_2627f6731a79d90cc4132ffb79da45e5.jpg
replyreply
 Thanks given by: BIASRacing , Pd6cas2

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dual alternator setup? - Waterloo - 06-19-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.