Run them or replace them?
06-25-2020, (Subject: Run them or replace them? ) 
RE: Run them or replace them?
and dont go cheap i had put on a set of cheap steers they lasted 40k miles before i didnt like the way they looked. replaced with mich xdn2s and with 100k miles their almost like new still.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
(06-25-2020 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  and dont go cheap i had put on a set of cheap steers they lasted 40k miles before i didnt like the way they looked. replaced with mich xdn2s and with 100k miles their almost like new still.

This is my third set of Bridgestone R283’s. I like them. But I get discounts now with my fuel card. They have nothing with Bridgestone. So I’m getting Michelin energy z ??
replyreply
Are they Bridgestones? Be very careful with them, I know a guy with a small fleet that had trucks with Bridgestones when new and their steer tires were exploding or throwing chunks at an alarming rate some cases were peeling at the shoulder too..
replyreply
I blew a steer yesterday with no warning. Luckily, I don't drive against the speed limiter, and it was still a bear at 55 to keep her upright. Ended up in some soft soil on the side of the road in danger of rolling over.

I managed to get it into some pavement, replace with my spare and drive it home to preform repairs.

It cut the main hose running to my overflow tank, destroyed the fender liner, cut the brake chamber air hose, punctured to washer jug, pulled the alignment out, tore up the wiring to the right headlight and cracked the cold side of the turbo housing. I'm not sure if I have to replace the wheel or not yet but I'm leaning towards that too.

All of that and they looked fine and we're properly inflated. 283a's at maybe 100k. If you aren't sure just replace them.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
I would replace them. You have already got your money’s worth out of them since they have went 216K.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
One blew on me last year. R283a Bridgestone... it was less than 3 weeks old and yes, it was inflated properly. it did a huge bunch of damage to the front end of the truck including taking out the entire A/C box, fender, bent side step, cracked hood, and all.

- Seems to be a trend with that brand and model tire here lately, as I have run that same make.model tire since my truck was new, replacing them about every 180k or so at a time without any issues otherwise.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
06-26-2020, (Subject: Run them or replace them? ) 
I have never had any luck with Bridgestone steer tires... Michelin here X..., 16 ply, it is only a few more dollars over the 14 ply, and have them high speed balance them.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: marek4792
Has that type of wear pattern from the OP (Mrkentee) ever had a cause determined. I've heard of the 'river wear' diagnosis from one of the big name tire companies, and Rawze I've also heard you mention that is a common result of a higher mileage tire wearing on the steer. Do you think that type of aggressive wear on the inside shoulder could be due to a tire slightly out of round? Mrkentee has excellent wear on those steers for the mileage IMO, but would still like to know what the odd wear cause is.

- I have a hair over 100k now on my steers and the inside of one is starting to display that same pattern. One thing I do notice, when I jack up the front end to grease kingpins, I see that the wearing steer tire has a bit of a wobble when compared to the other side (not the rim, just the tire). Wish I could have caught it on the balance machine last year but I didn't. I don't feel it in the steering , yet... I'm wondering if that slight wobble is causing an odd scrub against the road? I'll most likely change them in the 160-175k range unless something happens otherwise as they still have good tread left currently. It's a Toyo M177, so not sure how they stack against others like the Michelin some of you guys run..... I originally had the Brigestones when the truck was purchase, but was a little unnerved about the blow outs on the newest models of those tires, so I decided against them.
replyreply
(06-26-2020 )SquareOne Wrote:  Has that type of wear pattern from the OP (Mrkentee) ever had a cause determined. I've heard of the 'river wear' diagnosis from one of the big name tire companies, and Rawze I've also heard you mention that is a common result of a higher mileage tire wearing on the steer. Do you think that type of aggressive wear on the inside shoulder could be due to a tire slightly out of round? Mrkentee has excellent wear on those steers for the mileage IMO, but would still like to know what the odd wear cause is.

- I have a hair over 100k now on my steers and the inside of one is starting to display that same pattern. One thing I do notice, when I jack up the front end to grease kingpins, I see that the wearing steer tire has a bit of a wobble when compared to the other side (not the rim, just the tire). Wish I could have caught it on the balance machine last year but I didn't. I don't feel it in the steering , yet... I'm wondering if that slight wobble is causing an odd scrub against the road? I'll most likely change them in the 160-175k range unless something happens otherwise as they still have good tread left currently. It's a Toyo M177, so not sure how they stack against others like the Michelin some of you guys run..... I originally had the Brigestones when the truck was purchase, but was a little unnerved about the blow outs on the newest models of those tires, so I decided against them.

Same wear pattern I had on my last set of Bridgestones, at roughly the same mileage. Switched to Michelin, problem solved. Truck front end was fine, it was the tires.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.