WILL I BE THROWING MY MONEY AWAY?
06-27-2020, (Subject: WILL I BE THROWING MY MONEY AWAY? ) 
RE: WILL I BE THROWING MY MONEY AWAY?
My understanding is that a glider is a new truck without a motor so the liberty can be taken to have a rebuilt Detroit, CAT or Cummins motor put in without EGR and aftertreatment systems involved. These trucks today are a headache but my 2012 MX-13 is especially troublesome. Are there any subscribers on here that specialize in the first generation series MX-13? I read the one driver's post on here that Rawze corresponded with, He was having DPF issues causing derates with his CM871 and he was running with his EGR temp sensor(magic plug) disconnected. Rawze advised him to have the ECM tuned and adjust the overhead valves annually to stay on top of the detent clearance measurements. I am going to recommend this at the next shop visit and pray I don't have to replace the DPF, DOC and SCR on this money well. Not sure what to do with this rig. Wish I knew a MX-13 subscriber on here. That would help a ton.
replyreply
This is a 90% cummins forum. there aren't many Mx subscribers on here, and most people on here hate that boat anchor of an engine that cannot be worked on very well compared to a cummins.

Personally,. I would not want to own an engine that I could not custom tune myself, have access to all diagrams and software, etc... and be able to solve its issues on my own... That is what the red engines have going for them, unlike the thing you own.

Was just talking to another person today who got their mx-13 "deleted" and the thing runs like crap, is jumpy on the bottom end, turbo is over-spooling like mad and no one around can seem to program it worth a damn.. and this is true for them... These guys who rip you off for a few thousand bucks can jail-break the ec m into not caring the DPF is missing but it results in the engine fighting itself internally and tearing itself up.

My advice... Either knuckle down and fix what you got.. or rid yourself of it and get some other truck with a red engine in it so at least you can have full access to it and mold it into something you want.

Most of the people on this forum here own cummins engines because of just that ... It is like a piece of clay ready to be molded into what your needs are .. including ridding it of the mandate if necessary ... usually for free ... doing it themselves with a how-to guide . ... with just a laptop and a chineese adapter off e-bay for a few hundred bucks.

- Cumins has free sign-up on their website for all parts lookup just like stealers$its have + all manuals free, diagrams, etc... and step by step on replacement of anyting on the engine you like ... try getting all that for the boat anchor you own now... -- Bad business plan to own something that is known to act up ..and be at the mercy of others to keep it going. That is just about any engine that is not cummins any more.... so if you like working on your own stuff and taking back control of your problems... you know the obvious answer now.

-- There are plenty of people on here that would rather own a modern red cry baby than anything else, even a glider, they suck too much fuel and are harder to get parts for worn out engines of yesteryear with worn out re-man components in them comparatively. It simply is a choice of knowing that once you mod and mold that red cry-baby into what you want it to be... literally nothing beats it. -- Leave it factory spec'd though..,. and they are no better than any other problematic engine... it is only thru the extra effort do they shine.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ScarfaceTrucking
Rawze
I just got a deal on a 2016 KW Mx13 “ for 24k and 507k miles!
Should I resell the truck !
Or hopefully find a good programmer!
A couple of years ago Gearhead’s shop in PA did my tune, on my CM570 ‘ Chris did the tune and He claims that he’s Gotten good tunes out of paccar Mx.
But Hopefully he’s not blowing smoke!
And Yes , I still love the tune in this CM570 ‘ although truck itself is asking for many repairs in suspension and electrical. But at 2.4 million she’s bulletproof!
replyreply
$14,000 would be a good deal, and then you could sell it for $20,000 - $24,000. I think that selling price is a bit high for essentially a MaxxFart in a PACCAR wrapper.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pd6cas2
I just bought my 16 t680 with 600k miles cm-2350/13sp 3.36 rears 242 wb and new carrier Apu pretty clean truck 42psi oil pressure cruising for 35k and it's still stock tune running in 12th yesterday I pulled 7mpg from rapid City SD to Sioux falls SD doing 65-67. Today I'm putting in the demandate

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: ScarfaceTrucking , Magard
Lonestar, what did you give for that 680, if you don't mind me asking?
replyreply
Maannn makes you wonder what would be involved in ‘stealing’ a Maxxforce and converting it red? Wonder if it would make sense financially... you could potentially have a very nice rig with red engine of your choice (done the correct way) and be set for quite awhile. Maybe scoop one from Ritchie Bros auction that someone has given up on....hell for that matter you may be able to find some fuel pump disastered red engine trucks as well lol

Just a thought ..
replyreply
I know of a few guys that bought ProStars with the MaxxFart for peanuts, they use them as parts trucks to scavenge off of.
replyreply
(06-27-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  This is a 90% cummins forum. there aren't many Mx subscribers on here, and most people on here hate that boat anchor of an engine that cannot be worked on very well compared to a cummins.

Personally,. I would not want to own an engine that I could not custom tune myself, have access to all diagrams and software, etc... and be able to solve its issues on my own... That is what the red engines have going for them, unlike the thing you own.

Was just talking to another person today who got their mx-13 "deleted" and the thing runs like crap, is jumpy on the bottom end, turbo is over-spooling like mad and no one around can seem to program it worth a damn.. and this is true for them... These guys who rip you off for a few thousand bucks can jail-break the ec m into not caring the DPF is missing but it results in the engine fighting itself internally and tearing itself up.

My advice... Either knuckle down and fix what you got.. or rid yourself of it and get some other truck with a red engine in it so at least you can have full access to it and mold it into something you want.

Most of the people on this forum here own cummins engines because of just that ... It is like a piece of clay ready to be molded into what your needs are .. including ridding it of the mandate if necessary ... usually for free ... doing it themselves with a how-to guide . ... with just a laptop and a chineese adapter off e-bay for a few hundred bucks.

- Cumins has free sign-up on their website for all parts lookup just like stealers$its have + all manuals free, diagrams, etc... and step by step on replacement of anyting on the engine you like ... try getting all that for the boat anchor you own now... -- Bad business plan to own something that is known to act up ..and be at the mercy of others to keep it going. That is just about any engine that is not cummins any more.... so if you like working on your own stuff and taking back control of your problems... you know the obvious answer now.

-- There are plenty of people on here that would rather own a modern red cry baby than anything else, even a glider, they suck too much fuel and are harder to get parts for worn out engines of yesteryear with worn out re-man components in them comparatively. It simply is a choice of knowing that once you mod and mold that red cry-baby into what you want it to be... literally nothing beats it. -- Leave it factory spec'd though..,. and they are no better than any other problematic engine... it is only thru the extra effort do they shine.

Hey Rawze, thank you for your detailed response. When you said the "engine is fighting itself and internally and tearing itself up" that really described what this truck is doing. I have replaced many parts of this rig myself and I enjoy working on my own equipment but my lack of knowledge about this platform has aged me 10 years in less than 20 months. Your response settled it for me about this Paccar MX-13 because I am definitely the type that does not want to be at the mercy of a "stealership" shop. I appreciate your comments on the glider kits also. I am going to cut my losses, polish her out and trade for one of your "red cry babies". I respect your opinion because you are a successful owner operator with an engineering background. Your extensive knowledge and determined effort displayed on this site through videos and commentary have really opened up my mind about what it means to be an owner operator in today's industry. I run everywhere in the country with any and all loads. Is there a cummins motor, transmission, rear end combination that you would recommend? Many thanks for your advice.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.