Low torque cm2250
10-30-2023, (Subject: Low torque cm2250 ) 
Low torque cm2250
Truck is a 2012 cm 2250 with 430k miles. Overhauled at 350k miles because of carbon packing behind the rings and top of liners. ( old style liners without carbon rings ). Truck is worked hard as a heavy haul truck but gets lots of pto time. I have felt like the truck has been under powered since I bought it (125k). Torque gauge only goes to 80 percent. Took it to pete shop 2 weeks ago ( first time ever and never again) for latest ecm updates. I'm wondering if someone could help me out on low power issues and then I'm going to fix it so my oil stays cleaner. I've never been to a shop with it before and not only did I get ripped off but I learned that my jake brake was electric and had nothing to do with oil or oil pressure. Lol ... vg ring is free, turbo is good, no air leaks, runs smooth with no codes, fuel pressure holds good, new injectors changed nothing. It feels like the truck is derated but no codes. I have insite but Don't know what to look for if it has a ecm derate. Could the company that owned it before me derate it somehow?
replyreply
RE: Low torque cm2250
Just mentioning this .. does not necessarily mean its your situation.. but it is all too common...

Torque gauge that uses the J1939 for its signals only reading @ around 80% does not mean a whole lot. Many cummins engine programs from factory will report under what they are actually doing at the flywheel, and even those old road-ranger displays from cummins themselves used to read low like that on brand new engines.

Someone sees this and always thinks their truck is weak due to the placebo effect it creates.

So... A person should not go off of "what they feel" and one of those torque displays. They should put it on a dyno and have the power tested to see if it is within 15% of the ecm programs rated settings at the flywheel.

=========

Also, if the truck has tall rear ends vs. the loads they are carrying, then the truck will always feel weak because it cannot get out of its own way due to incorrectly spec'd rear ends. That is NOT the engine fault but the idiots who spec'd the truck incorrectly. .,.. and then they go around complaining that the truck is weak and want the engine power raised to make up for it.. so that they can torture the engine into oblivion instead of re-gearing it properly.

just the beer talkin'

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Scooby d
Thanks rawze. It could easily be one of those mind things Lol. I've just wondered because the jakes have always been weak in this truck and I thought it could be tied together. Perfect boost psi / no upper oil leaks / even across all 3 stages. Cummins had a jake update and 9 others but I've noticed no difference in anything. Now I want help cleaning my oil up !
replyreply
Rear ends are 433 .. a little high when im loaded and a little low for my liking when im empty
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.