IINSITE 7.62code 187 rabbit hole
06-29-2020, (Subject: IINSITE 7.62code 187 rabbit hole ) 
IINSITE 7.62code 187 rabbit hole
OK guys listen up. I have a truck in here with code 187. THis is a ISX cm2350. Under diag tree on insite it says this code is for the following: Crank Case pressure; Camshaft Position; intake Pressure;baro sensor; oil pressure sensors. So went to sensor 2 voltage on insite under data monitor it was setting at 4.31V so we started unplugging everything so see which sensor was bad... Nothing changed... So i unplugged engine harness and voltage came back to 5v.... So i was just fixing to get a new wiring harness thinking is was bad...This was Friday late in the day was hot and I was tired...SO I decided Id work on it Monday... So this morning I came in ready to look up a harness again and figured while I was on quick serve I would check one more time to see if there was anything else on the sensor 2 5 volt reference. I looked up code 187 and right then I knew I had a issue... On quick serve this same fault says its for the following: Intake throttle valve; exhaust back pressure; egr; egr pressure; egr diff pressure; and after-treatment fuel pressure sensors. So I started over unplugging sensors.. The last one and hardest was the after treatment fuel pressure sensor and as soon as I unplugged is volts came back to 5... What I end up finding was fuel was starting to seep out and caused it to short out... No telling how many times I been batten a dead horse with insite... I plugged in cummins 8.5 and it gave me the correct information.

After all this extra work I figured I would share this here so that others dont get fooled like I did...
So at the end of the day. The best thing to do is when you get a code refer to quick serve to see diag tree...
Hope you all have a great week....
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , Rawze , Waterloo , Mattman , Lonestar10 , snailexpress , hhow55 , JimT , 2dlb , PuroCumminsPower
RE: IINSITE 7.62code 187 rabbit hole
I always use quickserv for fault code lookups. Insite only gets you the code and insite7 code descriptions are out of date for newer engines.

BTW: It is also possible to update the fault code database and FIS in insite7 by copying the database and lookup files out of insite 8 if someone wants to. Forget exactly what files it is, but I did this on mine a while back.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , PuroCumminsPower
- So is code 187 a general code for a 5v reference issue when using Insite 7.62?
- Did Cummins 8.5 display voltage for all sensors , thus allowing you to go straight to the after treatment fuel press sensor?

Just to make sure I understand fully---- Insite 7.62 code 187 gave a general 5volt reference issue which could be applied to any of the 5v sensors. You began to unplug one by one in order to find out which was causing the short, thus allowing the full 5v to return to the signal sensing circuit.

After connecting Cummins 8.5, it gave you the specific sensor that was causing the issue? So, basically that particular sensor under a data log would have been reading a much lower voltage as the fuel was shorting it out, correct?

Thanks Mr. Hagg/Rawze for the input
replyreply
(06-29-2020 )SquareOne Wrote:  After connecting Cummins 8.5, it gave you the specific sensor that was causing the issue? So, basically that particular sensor under a data log would have been reading a much lower voltage as the fuel was shorting it out, correct?

Thanks Mr. Hagg for the input

No, I think he simply meant that 8 gave him the newer (matching quickserv) fc information for the same fault code is all.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Gotcha, trying to absorb info about these issues as I know every mile out on the truck is a mile closer to the possibility of a cornucopia of fun lmao!
replyreply
Yes just wanted to let you guys know if you are using 7.62 on a newer engine like a 2250 or 2350 you may want to check with quick serve to make sure you are tracking the correct fault information..
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , SquareOne , Rawze , JimT , Blackfoot , PuroCumminsPower

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.