Wet exhaust manifold
07-05-2020, (Subject: Wet exhaust manifold ) 
RE: Wet exhaust manifold
(07-05-2020 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  720k mandated Carboned everything up 70k with a bad delete isn't healthy at all. Probly engine becoming uncarboned and going to start using oil

Yea during my bad delete I ran mostly empty trailers and didn’t use more than 22psi during that time as my vgt was acting up couldn’t boost More than 22 psi
And kept it around 10 psi most of the time

I also had a defective boost gauge so I thought I was making full boost the entire time

Hopefully that spared my engine
replyreply
07-05-2020, (Subject: Wet exhaust manifold ) 
(07-05-2020 )Armond96 Wrote:  
(07-05-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  Check the valve cover gasket and when you are in there run the overhead if that has not been done. Not going to hurt...

My dampener pulley is so rusty I can’t even make out the marks on it

Can I run an overhead without reading the dampener

I paid someone to do it a while ago but who knows if it was done right now that I think about it

Nope, you will have to get down there with a wire brush and find the markings. Time for that damper to be replaced too, they have a life span of roughly 500,000 or so miles. They need to be painted too, multiple coats on the new one. And mark the timing lines. There is a viscous fluid internally in the damper, in time it hardens and will no longer balance the crank shaft. There is no way to test them either, replace or wait for it to blow apart...
replyreply
07-06-2020, (Subject: Wet exhaust manifold ) 
(07-05-2020 )Armond96 Wrote:  ...
My dampener pulley is so rusty I can’t even make out the marks on it ...

Find a single mark A,B, or C ... and place a sharpie mark on the front face of the damper in front of that mark.

turn the enigne until the mark on the face is pointing straight down ... you will be very close to the next mark and can easily find it... repeat until all 3 are found.

a dremel with a flappy 120-grit sanding wheel turned down real low to gently dust off the rust is your friend... That or sand paper or scotch-brite pads.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
07-06-2020, (Subject: Wet exhaust manifold ) 
You'll tend to find the damper bulging at the back side when the fluid inside hardens

It looks like you have a badly leaking valve stem seal. If you can live with the smoke and oil leak then keep running it. At those miles it's not really worth replacing the seals - The head and cylinders would be fairly tired.

If you want to go ahead with it (if that's the issue) Cummins sell a kit with all the seals, you need to buy or locate the tool for compressing the valve springs.

If you want to diagnose it yourself and there's no oil coming from higher than the manifold - Remove the turbo and manifold then look inside the exhaust ports. Should be fairly simple to see if it's leaking that much.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JimT , Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.