Just bought RV with ISX 525hp...
07-06-2020, (Subject: Just bought RV with ISX 525hp... ) 
Just bought RV with ISX 525hp...
I love my RV! 2004 Monaco Signature with a Cummins ISX 15 525HP. 48k miles. Some RV's with ISX were dropping valves. Costing people $40k to rebuild at Cummins. This was mostly 2007-2010 650hp and some 600hp. Said it was due to EGR soot eating the valves up. Do I have anything to worry about? I don't have deep pockets to pay for something like that. What do I need to do to make sure it doesn't happy to me? (EGR delete, ugly fix, replace with new head, etc)?

Thanks
replyreply
RE: Just bought RV with ISX 525hp...
How many miles on the motor, and I am assuming it is the CM-870? Is it having any mechanical issues, or are you being proactive?
replyreply
I see 48,000 miles... Replace the sensors, an EGR tuneup. May want to remove the EGR valve to inspect and clean, change the oil, maybe run it for 3000 miles and change it again, regular Rotella is fine, and then install a good oil bypass filter. Most of the guys here use the Amsoil universal remote filter for big trucks. I would also run an overhead. I would inspect the turbo too, oil leaks from possible dry seals, make sure she is not leaking oil. Other than that I would not really worry too much with those miles as far as the motor goes, I would be concerned with the undercarriage, like u joints and such.

As far as that other stuff you mentioned, the programmers and magic plug, avoid all of that snake oil.

That is off of the top of my head, others will chime in.
replyreply
It is a CM870. Being proactive. Just drove it 3 hours, and no issues. Has tons of power! Cruise control stays locked in even on the hills. Turbo PSI pegs straight down (looks like about 38 PSI) when pulling hard, but runs great! What is an overhead?
replyreply
We just had a customer he has a 650 hp isx 871 it dropped a valve only had 21k on it....to me it looked more like when its been sitting with valve open and building rust on it . was number 6 exhaust valve
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Brock
Was this problem strictly with the cm871 650hp, or could my cm870 have the same issue?
replyreply
(07-06-2020 )staffcurtis Wrote:  Was this problem strictly with the cm871 650hp, or could my cm870 have the same issue?

YES... We call it lot rot, and it does quite a bit of damage. Identical head to the 871, it was rust on the valves that took out that 871, from sitting... You need to adjust the valves, that is an overhead. And keep the boost down, you are unknowingly abusing that motor. Drive it like that you will blow the head gasket or worse. You really need to get in there and have that motor gone over. If you are close to Atlanta, Mr Hagg who posted about that valve has a shop there. He is the only man in this country I would let touch my motor. Not many Cummins mechanics out there worth spit.
replyreply
(07-06-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(07-06-2020 )staffcurtis Wrote:  Was this problem strictly with the cm871 650hp, or could my cm870 have the same issue?

YES... We call it lot rot, and it does quite a bit of damage.
Is that moisture from ambient air humidity or coolant leaks? EGR cooler leak?
replyreply
(07-06-2020 )hypoxia Wrote:  
(07-06-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  

YES... We call it lot rot, and it does quite a bit of damage.
Is that moisture from ambient air humidity or coolant leaks? EGR cooler leak?

Lot rot is from sitting unused, not ran, no grease, oil all settled in the pan, even worse when parked on gravel, and yes, moisture and condensation, nothing to do with the EGR cooler. And when a vehicle sits like this, it is good to pop the valve cover and inspect, if it looks good, dump some oil in there, spray down the cam and rollers, maybe turn it over a few times by hand to get oil in the cylinders. Almost like you would when starting for the first time after in framing the motor.
replyreply

Theme by MyBB Addict
Contact Us | Rawze.com | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication