Just bought RV with ISX 525hp...
07-06-2020, (Subject: Just bought RV with ISX 525hp... ) 
RE: Just bought RV with ISX 525hp...
So now I'm sorta worried about possible engine failure! Is there any other way I can protect myself locally from this type of issue?

T
replyreply
Waterloo: I was also under the impression the CM870 and CM871 had different heads. Also that the DPF contributed to the destruction of the CM871. There have been much fewer dropped valves on the 870 even though it is an older engine, so please explain in more detail if the differences matter or not.
replyreply
(07-06-2020 )staffcurtis Wrote:  Waterloo: I was also under the impression the CM870 and CM871 had different heads. Also that the DPF contributed to the destruction of the CM871. There have been much fewer dropped valves on the 870 even though it is an older engine, so please explain in more detail if the differences matter or not.

The dropped valve that Mr Hagg spoke of was from sitting. Condensation in the head, the valves get rusty as the oil all leaches down to the pan. This can happen in any motor. As far as the DPF, that is not the issue, it is the EGR valve, these motors are designed to eat their own waste. Well, that waste has to go somewhere, and that place is the oil. It is like throwing sand in a gas tank, except it takes longer to destroy the motor in these EPA/EGR motors, but has the same effect. It is a time issue. Your motor, it sat, that is the issue, not the emissions. Not saying it is broken, it is probably fine, but it has sat, and there are things that you will need to do to insure it lasts the lifetime of that very nice pusher you bought.
replyreply
How much would you charge to replace the head? This assuming everything is in good working condition.
replyreply
(07-06-2020 )staffcurtis Wrote:  How much would you charge to replace the head? This assuming everything is in good working condition.

A new head is roughly $3500, give or take... Plus install. Doubtful you need a head.
replyreply
07-07-2020, (Subject: Just bought RV with ISX 525hp... ) 
(07-06-2020 )staffcurtis Wrote:  Was this problem strictly with the cm871 650hp, or could my cm870 have the same issue?

It sounds like your worried about lot rott ... like Mr. Hag pointed out.

Lot rott == Not using the engine enough and letting it sit for months without cranking it up and running it.

Crank the engine once every couple weeks and let it run for 15-20 minutes and it should last many many years. -- Industrial engines do no like to be sitting unused for months and years at a time.

-- Service the engine based on engine hours, and do all the things recommended to it to keep it healthy and there will be no issues.

If your not smart enough to keep after these things then you need to educate yourself on how to do them, as no one else is going to do them for you.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pd6cas2 , PuroCumminsPower
07-07-2020, (Subject: Just bought RV with ISX 525hp... ) 
Big thanks to Waterloo! That phone call answered a lot of my questions. Basically if it was taken care of I should be ok. I will still have it checked out when I get a chance.
replyreply
10-01-2020, (Subject: Just bought RV with ISX 525hp... ) 
I just joined, though have been reading the forum for sometime.

OP - Added to this thread - hope you do not mind:)!

This thread is basically covering my concerns: RV owner with a new old coach. It this the ISX600 CM870 2006 engine, in an 07 model with 40K miles on it.

In my research before buying this coach, it was suggested to me that less then 20% of the Drop #6 Valves were in CM870 config engines, at least in RV's. With 80% being the CM871's.

I had budgeted to swap out the heads with the new revised alloy components. And estimates from as low as $15/17K to possibly $22K +, dependent upon what is found when things are opened up.

Another coach owner, as well as a Cummins shop in Oregon, suggested that since the volume of CM870 Drop #6 Valves was so low, to run it as is. Spend those funds on an Extended Warranty, to help offset some of the costs if our engine becomes one that drops a valve and takes out an engine/turbo. The thinking was we could use the EW for other items that might pop-up, and save the balance of the funds not used to pro actively swap out the heads, to offset some of those costs.

And as was pointed out to me by Rawze in email, much of this info I've gathered could be internet garbage (Possibly he used a bit different word choices!), and suggested I post here to get some input from those who run CM870 engines for a living.

So opinions and suggested welcomed. Run with what I have, with some of he above mentioned maintenance recommended in this thread? Swap out the head now and not worry about a #6 Drop? And or, run with what I have, and add the EW as insurance, if needed?

TIA to you all,
Smitty
replyreply
10-01-2020, (Subject: Just bought RV with ISX 525hp... ) 
Sounds like internet garbage to me... What is wrong with your motor? Is it showing signs of abuse or neglect? Mechanical issues?

As far as swapping heads, if you actually need one, you call Cummins or a Cummins parts distributor and order a new OEM head using the EIN found on the plate on the valve cover.

If I were you, I would run from whoever is feeding you this line of manure. Why would a valve drop and take out the motor? Which, from the sounds of what you stated, is just fine? There is preventive maintenance... Replacing a perfectly good head is foolishness. Run an overhead, adjust the valves, not replace them, unless there is a dropped valve or the signs of one failing...

Get an oil sample, send it to a lab for analysis.

Change your fluids, regular old fashioned Rotella is what a majority here use, myself included. Don't waste your money on additives or synthetic oils, they are not good for your motor. If anything, add a gallon of gear oil at every service. Yes, 80-90 gear oil, add it to the oil. Most of us use either Sta-Lube or the blue gallon jug from Walmart, Tech something, I forget. It is the Walmart brand, good stuff and inexpensive, but loaded with the proper additives for our motors.

And extended warranty? Waste of money. You are the warranty, get used to it.

Do the EGR Tune Up, replace all of the hoses, belts, flush the coolant system, overhead, etc. If this is an older low mileage coach your attention needs to address the "Lot Rot" which it surely has. That will bite you sooner than any major catastrophic engine failures will unless there is something actually wrong with that motor. Sounds to me like it is fine. Welcome aboard.

I'm going to bed.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply

Theme by MyBB Addict
Contact Us | Rawze.com | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication