Just bought RV with ISX 525hp...
07-06-2020, (Subject: Just bought RV with ISX 525hp... ) 
RE: Just bought RV with ISX 525hp...
So now I'm sorta worried about possible engine failure! Is there any other way I can protect myself locally from this type of issue?

T
replyreply
Waterloo: I was also under the impression the CM870 and CM871 had different heads. Also that the DPF contributed to the destruction of the CM871. There have been much fewer dropped valves on the 870 even though it is an older engine, so please explain in more detail if the differences matter or not.
replyreply
(07-06-2020 )staffcurtis Wrote:  Waterloo: I was also under the impression the CM870 and CM871 had different heads. Also that the DPF contributed to the destruction of the CM871. There have been much fewer dropped valves on the 870 even though it is an older engine, so please explain in more detail if the differences matter or not.

The dropped valve that Mr Hagg spoke of was from sitting. Condensation in the head, the valves get rusty as the oil all leaches down to the pan. This can happen in any motor. As far as the DPF, that is not the issue, it is the EGR valve, these motors are designed to eat their own waste. Well, that waste has to go somewhere, and that place is the oil. It is like throwing sand in a gas tank, except it takes longer to destroy the motor in these EPA/EGR motors, but has the same effect. It is a time issue. Your motor, it sat, that is the issue, not the emissions. Not saying it is broken, it is probably fine, but it has sat, and there are things that you will need to do to insure it lasts the lifetime of that very nice pusher you bought.
replyreply
How much would you charge to replace the head? This assuming everything is in good working condition.
replyreply
(07-06-2020 )staffcurtis Wrote:  How much would you charge to replace the head? This assuming everything is in good working condition.

A new head is roughly $3500, give or take... Plus install. Doubtful you need a head.
replyreply
07-07-2020, (Subject: Just bought RV with ISX 525hp... ) 
(07-06-2020 )staffcurtis Wrote:  Was this problem strictly with the cm871 650hp, or could my cm870 have the same issue?

It sounds like your worried about lot rott ... like Mr. Hag pointed out.

Lot rott == Not using the engine enough and letting it sit for months without cranking it up and running it.

Crank the engine once every couple weeks and let it run for 15-20 minutes and it should last many many years. -- Industrial engines do no like to be sitting unused for months and years at a time.

-- Service the engine based on engine hours, and do all the things recommended to it to keep it healthy and there will be no issues.

If your not smart enough to keep after these things then you need to educate yourself on how to do them, as no one else is going to do them for you.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pd6cas2 , PuroCumminsPower
07-07-2020, (Subject: Just bought RV with ISX 525hp... ) 
Big thanks to Waterloo! That phone call answered a lot of my questions. Basically if it was taken care of I should be ok. I will still have it checked out when I get a chance.
replyreply

Theme by MyBB Addict
Contact Us | Rawze.com | Return to Top | Return to Content | Lite (Archive) Mode | RSS Syndication