CM2250 HIGH coolant and oil Temps
07-08-2020, (Subject: CM2250 HIGH coolant and oil Temps ) 
RE: CM2250 HIGH coolant and oil Temps
(07-08-2020 )JimT Wrote:  
(07-08-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  And it is a abad tune if it was done up there, there are a couple of shops I know of, and they specialize in destroying ISX motors.

They should put that on their business cards "We specialize is destroying ISX engines!!!". ugg, now I'm envisioning a bad late night tv commercial, like a used car dealer...

Quote:Do you hate the EPA? we do too! Got too much money? No problem, we can help to empty that wallet! push, pull, or drag your rig down here and we'll shine that turd up so bright you'll need sunglasses at night. But wait, we'll even throw is completely unnecessary parts for an outrageously inflated price so you can feel like you got some special treatment. And remember, when it breaks it's your fault, not ours, but we'll be more than happy to throw more parts at it!

To the OP, you've found the right place. With a little help and a vast collection of information to reference you'll be able to get that engine fixed up.

BTW, you said it's a 2250, have you looked in to the fuel pump yet? They are a very serious issue if ignored. Do a search on the main page for '2250 fuel pump'. There's also some good videos on youtube.

I just spoke to the OP, really nice guy, and yes, he did go through the fuel pump, all upgraded. He bought the truck with the delete, they took a few parts and pieces off, he has some work ahead of him. He is pulling his file here in a day or two, going to send it to Rawze and then we go from there. I think we will sort all of this out and he should be good to go.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , JimT
Hope one part wasn't the egr cooler or if they did hope they put a coolant bypass pipe in so 5 and 6 don't get cooked

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
(07-08-2020 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  Hope one part wasn't the egr cooler or if they did hope they put a coolant bypass pipe in so 5 and 6 don't get cooked

I told him about that, they messed with quite a bit on the motor... He is parking the truck until he gets this sorted out.
replyreply
07-09-2020, (Subject: CM2250 HIGH coolant and oil Temps ) 
(07-08-2020 )Paradoc23 Wrote:  ...
oil temps as high as 252 degrees

turbo boost 42psi

I have replaced termostat, had radiator and cAc cleaned out,

talked to a few different tuners and all have said that they can not look at my file just replace it for $2000.00

YOU HAVE BEEN DRINKING THE COOLAIDE!!! -- AND IT IS ABSOLUTE POISION!!!!!!

that is what you have been doing so far. -- we see it weekly around here.

- First and foremost ... a CM2250 enigne CANNOT HANDLE AT ALL!!! 42+psi of boost !. -- Anything more than about 35,36psi even at 600+ HP will torture to that model engine.

- NEXT, High coolant and high oil temps (above 230-F) are a definite sign that the engine is running waay too lean -- because of that horrible over-boosting. Too high injection ti9ming from bad programming will causwe this same thing too. -- NOW COMBINE THE TWO... and you got yourself a recipe for a real disaster.

- NEXT, GET THAT COOLANT WORKIG FOR THOSE BACK 2 CYLINDERS!! -- If you removed that EGR cooler,.. that was a BIG MISTAKE!-- you are starving coolant flow to #5 and #6 cylinders and whoever the mechanic that did this was completely clueless!

-- NEXT, YOU SHOULD BE ABSOLUTELY AWARE THAT -- YOU HAVE A CM2250 AND ALL YOU NEED IS AN INLINE-5, OR MAYBE INLINE-6, OR 7 (off e-bay for a few hundred bucks) AND YOU COULD HAVE DONE THE PROGRAMMING ALL BY YOURSELF ++ DID IT 100% RIGHT WITHOUT ALL THE BUTCHERING AND FALSE PROMISES!!! -- there is a crook around every street corner in trucking with that type of re-programming ehemm (butchering) services. - ALL the correct files are on the internet for free to do the job 100% right ... but those $2000+ butchering services DO NOT USE THE CORRECT PROCESS OR FILES AND HACK YOUR ECM INTO OBLIVION! because they all hang out on all the engine tuning and engine software trading forums and brag about how 'good' (more like utterly stupid) they are!.. and then go about ripping off people and killing engines left and right, all in the name of power and glory!.

Anyone with a laptop who can open and run a spread-sheet can do the whole job all by themselves by following a few step-by-step guides for a CM2250 engine. The files were put on the internet a couple three years ago just for this reason,.. because too many people were getting ripped off and too many people's enignes were getting butchered and destropyed by clowns.

-- NEXT,... You say South dakota.. -- I KNOW OF AT LEAST ONE ACTUAL CERTIFIED STEALERS$IT DOING DELETE PROGRAMMING ON THE SIDE IN THAT STATE and they are absolutely ROTTEN BRAIN BUTCHERS WHO ARE USING FILES OFF THE AUTO TUNING SITES JUST LIKE I DESCRIBED ABOVE !!! -- HERE IS ONE FINE EXAMPLE that absolutely would cause the EXACT SYMPTOMS you are describing wrong with your truck...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...2#pid55202

so... the first Q. -- Do you have a laptop and a datalink adapter? and at least the Insite software working? -- That is your first step.

Next step --> would be to get a copy of the 'C a l t e r m' software and get it going too, then upload a copy of the ECM programing out of your ECM onto your laptop and e-mail it to me for review. That software is on the internet in various places.. + the step-by-step instructions on how the get the program copied out.

and again.. GET THAT COOLANT FLOW back working to the back 2 cylinders.. no one should have ever taken off that EGR cooler.

LASTLY... you mentioned some complete moron telling you to remove the VGT... THAT IS IS UTTER INSANITY! -- That VGT turbo is the most efficient turbo a person could ever have on that engine... taking it off will cost you AT LEAST $6000 -$8000 in fuel every year ,.. it is far better to leave it on there. -- THE PROBLEM with them and delete == idiots who have no ideah how to re-program the turbo (as part of the ecm programming) to work properly after a horrible delte is done. <- the biggest issue with them over boosting like you have described is that there is no more proper engine mode control in the ecm because it is severely confused by all the missing components and no one fixed that in the programming... that ecm is not smart enough to compensate for all the missing stuff or even not try to jump into engine modes that are supposed to warm up and run the canisters that are now missing.
your ecm programming has most likely the same issues as this one...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...4#pid46124

=======

BTW: Sad part --- Your story is a weekly event around here. The industry and plague of 'tuning morons' around every street corner willing to take you for a few thousands has literally gotten that bad!

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
07-09-2020, (Subject: CM2250 HIGH coolant and oil Temps ) 
Had a 870 from that friendly place...flex was purple back to the Y
replyreply
07-11-2020, (Subject: CM2250 HIGH coolant and oil Temps ) 
=======

BTW: Sad part --- Your story is a weekly event around here. The industry and plague of 'tuning morons' around every street corner willing to take you for a few thousands has literally gotten that bad!
[/quote]

A question on programming. Asking because I do not know. Have been told that when programming it is "best practice" per Cummins to connect thru the data plug on the engine. Have NOT seen that in writing anywhere. Figure IF that was an issue it would be mentioned here. Also know the most reliable answer will be here.
replyreply
(07-08-2020 )Paradoc23 Wrote:  Yes truck is straight piped turbo back. I did pull the muffler off as well to see if it helped lower temps and imo only made a very slight difference. Not enough to stop chasing the root issue. "File" related??
You most certainly have program issues.... BUT "had radiator and cAc cleaned out". Unless the radiator was flow tested you really DON'T know what it's state of health is. Flow testing is not putting a garden hose in the top and watching water run out the bottom. FWIW radiators in your range flow 50 to 60 gallons per MINUTE. Thats emptying a 55 gallon drum every 60 seconds. Many radiator shops do not have flow machines.
This was maybe the first of many expensive lessons I've bought over the years. Somewhere back in the late 70's. To this day if I take a head off, the radiator is going out to be tested. I have not one but two shops in my area that flow test. To the one these are "little" radiators.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , JimT
The ECM, I have seen it done both ways, dash and data plug. I have done my programing through the J plug in the dash, the 9 pin, no issues. Most guys do not have that data link for under the hood, I know Rawze does, as that is how he programmed my new second ECM on his kitchen table. As long as your connection is good, either method is fine as far as I know.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(07-11-2020 )DVT873 Wrote:  A question on programming. Asking because I do not know. Have been told that when programming it is "best practice" per Cummins to connect thru the data plug on the engine. Have NOT seen that in writing anywhere. Figure IF that was an issue it would be mentioned here. Also know the most reliable answer will be here.

Depends of model of ecm. For most applications the datalink under the dash is just fine as long as you have unhooked any e-log devices. I use the one in the dash unless i get communications errors or I think there is an e-log or some other device going to cause interference, as the connection at the engine is not the same network as the one in the dash.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DVT873 , JimT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.