Home Oil Change and a bunch of other random questions
07-12-2020, (Subject: Home Oil Change and a bunch of other random questions ) 
RE: Home Oil Change and a bunch of other random questions
(07-12-2020 )JimT Wrote:  Ok, got a bunch of small, random questions, figured I'd drop them all in one thread. Maybe others can benefit from the information too. Trying to think of and ask questions now, before I start taking things apart. In no particular order:

(2012 Pete 587 cm2250)

* Doing my own oil/filter change and lube job for the first time soon. Just wondering what tools or supplies I might need. (Besides oil/filters/grease and buckets!) Either required items or things/tools that others have found handy or useful.

* Whats the consensus? Prefill oil and/or fuel filters or not? I know it's been discussed before, but my memory is fuzzy.

* Planning to drop the oil pan, inspect the bottom end, clean up and repaint the pan. Do I need a new, replacement gasket or is it a reusable gasket?

* What things should I look for while the pan is down?

* I want to add temp sensors/gauges for both diffs and the tranny. why? because I don't like guessing and want to make sure I can catch any potential problems before they get bad. So, suggestions for brands of gauges and locations to install them on the diffs/trans? i saw glowshift has a few combo gauges that might work nicely to save space.

* I'm replacing my front (steer) springs (yes, new u-bolts too). Looks pretty simple. Any tips, tricks or videos to help out? They are unpainted, anybody have preferences on paint to use? I have some generic chassis black spray paint laying around.

* Front (steer) shocks are almost 2 years old, no signs of oil leaks. They do need new bushings, which I have. Should I just replace the shocks when I do the springs or just do the bushings? What's the typical lifespan? I don't have a lot of spare money (saving up for an inframe), but if they're due to be replaced soon then now would be the time.

* Oil pressure sensor: It's very hard to see, but it appears I'm leaking oil from the oil pressure sensor. Nothing is hitting the ground, but the starter looks pretty wet, which is how I noticed it. Does this need to be replaced while the oil is drained or can it be done at any time? Also, how the !@#$ do you get back there without removing (in my case) the davco, the fuel filter, the ECM, a ton of wires and, in a perfect world, I'd move the frame rail too! (yeah, I know, thats not gonna happen ;) )

I'm sure there's other things I'm forgetting...
I do my own oil changes just because I really don't trust places. I have seen places cut corners and not fill the oil filter. To me that is a huge no go. I used to do my own greasing but I started letting Speedco do that. I grease about every 5000 miles and that's too much climbing around under there, I'm getting to old. I pre fill all my filters, always have. I run the truck a bit, then do the fuel filters. Then run it and then do the oil and filter. Tools, lol, the longer you have a truck the more you end up buying. I could run a small shop with what I have bought over the years.
Did rods and mains at high 600s, replaced the gasket. Never even crossed my mind to reuse it.
Never added temperature gauges to the transmission or diffs.
I replaced my front springs with aftermarket from a great place in Pa. One of the best things I could have done.
Shocks, I second the just change about every two years. I got mine from Orileys, fixing to do them again soon.
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Home Oil Change and a bunch of other random questions - Ricky - 07-12-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.