Home Oil Change and a bunch of other random questions
07-13-2020, (Subject: Home Oil Change and a bunch of other random questions ) 
RE: Home Oil Change and a bunch of other random questions
(07-13-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Probably a dumb question but you say you use 1 gallon of oil in 3000 miles. Does it happen to use 2 gallons in 6000 miles or does it kind of slow down and level off? Some engines just use a bit of oil and find their own full level. Have you ever let it go clear down to the add line and a hair below to see what the engine is actually consuming in 10,000 miles?

It's actually pretty consistent. Quantity went up a little after the demandate, but the frequency is pretty stable. It varies a little bit depending on engine load, but over all it averages about 1 gal in about 3k mi. I used to go about a quart or so over full at the oil change then wait until it gets about half way down the dipstick. But I found I was getting a lot of oil in the breather case. Now I bring it right up to, but not exceeding, the full mark. Much less oil in and around the breather. Once it gets about half way down the dipstick it usually takes about 3 quarts to bring it back to the full mark. I check it daily, but only add it when it drops enough. I can usually hear the difference in the engine, the usual clatter gets louder, once I hit the half way point on the dipstick.

On a side note, I've noticed that the dipstick reading can vary by a least a quart simply depending which way the truck is leaning. It's rare to find completely level ground, so every time I check the oil I glance at the davco right near by to see how level the engine is. Even the difference between full and empty airbags on the tractor can cause a measurable difference on my dipstick. I've watched it long enough to know what angles equate to each other, but at first it panicked me when it seemed like I dropped a quart in a day, added a quart, then the next day I was a quart over full! Just one of those quirks that is easy to overlook.

Started adding gear lube last oil change. Other then a little higher cold start oil pressure I haven't noticed any difference. Although, now the exhaust smells like a fresh lube job instead of sooty burnt oil!

Finally, I should note that I have no oil leaks that drip to the ground. Even the oil pressure sensor, as wet as it looks around there, there's never even a single drop of oil that hits the ground. The front of tranny/back of engine is a different story. Leaking gear lube from there, but only while the engine is on. Been doing that since I got the truck 2 years ago and I've only had to add lube twice because of it.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Home Oil Change and a bunch of other random questions - JimT - 07-13-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.