air compressor leaking coolant
07-15-2020, (Subject: air compressor leaking coolant ) 
air compressor leaking coolant
my air compressor has started dripping coolant on the outside around the compressor head gasket no water is getting into the air system and no pressure is getting into the coolant system. my question is has anyone just replaced the gasket on the compressor or should i replace the head as well or just buy a complete air compressor
replyreply
RE: air compressor leaking coolant
if it has more then about 800k miles on it, it may be time for a new (compressor) head or compressor.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(07-15-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  if it has more then about 800k miles on it, it may be time for a new (compressor) head or compressor.

it has 552K on it around 17K hours
replyreply
07-16-2020, (Subject: air compressor leaking coolant ) 
That's enough hours to justify a whole ReCon compressor.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
I picked up an OEM Cummins, Haldex USA Remanufactured, Air Compressor at FleetPride a couple of years ago, it has been solid, no issues. I believe back then it was $900 + a $400 core deposit. I know there are other less expensive options, eBay and what not, and some Chinese knock offs, but I have had good luck with this unit, and it was a REAL factory Cummins compressor remanufactured here in the USA by Haldex. I liked what I saw, and as I said, no issues.

I would install the reman vs rebuilding the head unless cash is really really tight. As you will be in there replacing the entire compressor in short order, at least that was my experience at roughly 800,000 miles. Best to just do it all at once, I think that head kit was darn near $500. And do not forget to remove all of the fittings off of the old compressor if you take it with you to avoid the core deposit.

And do it yourself if you can, it was an easy job other than the zero degree weather. You will need to bar the motor, but you should have those tools already if you are here. Other than that, simple hand tools.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
you should also time the compressor properly too..

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Follow everything thing Waterloo says about the compressor. Just don't read about how his air compressor replacement ended. It started in the frigid outdoors of a Michigan winter in his driveway and a couple months later and 10's of thousands of $$ it ended in the warmth of a Georgia spring in Rawze's driveway, if I recall correctly.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , smorgan87 , tree98 , snailexpress
(07-16-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Follow everything thing Waterloo says about the compressor. Just don't read about how his air compressor replacement ended. It started in the frigid outdoors of a Michigan winter in his driveway and a couple months later and 10's of thousands of $$ it ended in the warmth of a Georgia spring in Rawze's driveway, if I recall correctly.

LOL! So true...

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(07-16-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Follow everything thing Waterloo says about the compressor. Just don't read about how his air compressor replacement ended. It started in the frigid outdoors of a Michigan winter in his driveway and a couple months later and 10's of thousands of $$ it ended in the warmth of a Georgia spring in Rawze's driveway, if I recall correctly.

What a tale it was!! ( ;

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.