Water in fuel indicator
07-16-2020, (Subject: Water in fuel indicator ) 
Water in fuel indicator
Thanks for the add Rawze...great job on this forum.

I own a 2014 Pete 389, mandate NOT removed...ISX15.

Was getting a check engine fault which I was sure was for the after treatment and I was right (but it’s minor)...but one other fault I didn’t expect was water in fuel. There’s no coolant sitting in the fuel filter and the truck is running as expected...the code was inactive when the dealer plugged in, there was 12 counts at the least severe level.
There was a bit of cause for concern from a buddy mechanic of mine, but he told me it should be fine once I checked the filter...so here I am. Was wondering what else I can look for myself and how much I should be concerned about this?
replyreply
RE: Water in fuel indicator
What was the code?

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(07-16-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  What was the code?
I’ve added an attachment of the printout for your viewing pleasure.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
I found this... https://f01.justanswer.com/diesel3153/dc...nation.pdf

How many miles on the truck?

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(07-16-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  I found this... https://f01.justanswer.com/diesel3153/dc...nation.pdf

How many miles on the truck?

Thanks pal...I’ll have a look.
There’s 1,123,000 km on it...a bit over 600,000 on a Cummins rebuild.
replyreply
Could be those injector sleeves/seals, especially with the mandate still intact.

replyreply
(07-16-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  Could be those injector sleeves/seals, especially with the mandate still intact.

Yeah, what he said...he also said (my mechanic buddy) it should be alright being there’s no coolant settled in the filter, but to keep a close eye on it. Of course the truck is in for safety so not much I can do about right now.

I’m at a crossroads right now with this fuel sucker...seriously considering a de-mandate once I finish my research here on it.

Thanks for your input.
replyreply
Yep, carbon and soot are your enemy. If you do get rid of the "issue", make sure you speak with someone here before you go running off to one of these "tuners". I only know of three folks that can actually tune a truck.

replyreply
07-18-2020, (Subject: Water in fuel indicator ) 
(07-16-2020 )Eagerbilt Wrote:  
(07-16-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  What was the code?
I’ve added an attachment of the printout for your viewing pleasure.

Looking at those codes... You really should look at the first and last occurrences, in addition to the total count. Some of them could be really old, some could have occurred multiple times within a short burst (meaning it was really just a single event). As for the water in fuel, if the truck sat for a while condensation could have built up in the tank and/or the water separator. Change filter, maybe try a fuel treatment and watch to see if it occurs again.

Those aftertreatment codes however, mainly the regen too frequent and the high ash load. Could be your DOC/DPF is old and worn out and not working as it should. Maybe drop the cans, get them cleaned and flow tested. If the problem persists (it could take a few weeks to reoccur after the cleaning) then either the cans are shot and need replacement or you are burning too much oil and that's why you have some much ash building up in the DPF. Either way, your problem will probably continue to get worse until you start getting to the shutdown stage. That's exactly the situation I went through.

How long have you had the truck? What's you oil and coolant consumption like? Did you, or whoever hooked up insite, look at the Aftertreament History? That would tell a lot about the DPF health. That code for regening too frequently, that's not a good sign.

------------

Also, I see that's a cm2250. Have you, or do you have proof that someone else, rebuilt the head or replaced the fuel pump? If you don't know about it, go to the main page of this site and do a search for "cm2250 fuel pump". At 600,000mi it's well past due.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.