Reputable shop close to the north east
07-18-2020, (Subject: Reputable shop close to the north east ) 
Reputable shop close to the north east
I’ve got a cm2250 with 800k

I believe I need an overhead set done

I’ve tried to do it myself but my harmonic dampener is way to grimes for me to make out the letter of the marks

I’ve taken Rawze advice and used a Dremel to clean the marks and I’ve only been able to find the marks but not make out the letters for sure

I’ve tried figuring which valves are closed by checking the crossheads and rockers for play but none seem loose enough for me to confidently know that valve is closed

I paid someone to do my over head 80k ago and now I can’t trust that it was done

Looking for any shops that know what they’re actually doing in the northeast (I’m in nyc)

Before I take the 800 mile journey to see if mr.hag can squeeze me in this week
replyreply
RE: Reputable shop close to the north east
Well, at 800,000 miles if you are not ready for an in frame, you should replace the lower end bearings. 800,000 miles is about their lifespan. As far as a shop, you can try

{shop info removed. no longer recommended}

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , workbot
(07-18-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  Well, at 800,000 miles if you are not ready for an in frame, you should replace the lower end bearings. 800,000 miles is about their lifespan. As far as a shop, you can try
{shop info removed. no longer recommended}

hey man thanks for the reply.

Yea I know Inframe is upon me.

There are a bunch of things that need done like the lower end and dampener

I’m just wondering if I shouldn’t save every penny for the next 50k miles to inframe the engine or should I just start doing the needed maintainence. I hope this isn’t backwards thinking

Just concerned I spend $2k on the bottom end and have to inframe it 50k miles later or just save the $23k first and then start doing the maintainence

I anticipate to have the money all before 850k miles

And thanks for the shop recommendation I’ll probably give them a call Monday morning
replyreply
I know what you mean... If you plan on that in frame in the near future, in the next 50,000 miles, few months, I would hold off, just keep her serviced and take it easy on her and get her in to Mr Hagg to have it done right. Is the mandate still on her?

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Armond96
(07-18-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  I know what you mean... If you plan on that in frame in the near future, in the next 50,000 miles, few months, I would hold off, just keep her serviced and take it easy on her and get her in to Mr Hagg to have it done right. Is the mandate still on her?

It was demandated at 720ish and I had mr.hag fix it around 790

During its time demandated I only pulled empty trailers and never ran more than 10-15 psi due to a faulty boost gauge and faulty turbo

Truck doesn’t smoke out the exhaust or out the oil cap

Like I said maybe if u put the money together in the next couple months I’ll decide to inframe it and get it out the way or have the infrared money and then start doing the maintainence to take it to 1 million or better

My cam is relatively clean no pits or deep groves
replyreply
Have you tried using chalk dust on the balancer marks to see if they become more legible? I used chalk line dust a few times to similar things. It may take a little messing around to get the dust where you want it and settle in to the stamping.
replyreply
If you plan on going one million prior to in frame, you need to do the lower end. You don't, you risk losing a wrist pin, the potential there is that you ventilate the block.

replyreply
There is absolutely no reason to spend Inframe $$ if its not warranted. Drop the oil pan on it pressure test the coolant system up to 20 psi. Let it sit over night and bar the engine over by hand to check for coolant leaking down from around the cylinders. If none, roll new bottom end bearings in it. Run the overhead again and check it all out. Button it up and run it for more profit. At 800k you still have 400k easily in profitable miles if you take care of it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Pd6cas2

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.