Extended oil drains
07-19-2020, (Subject: Extended oil drains ) 
RE: Extended oil drains
40k+ oil changes is pushing it... really pushing it!... bypass filter or not. I don't care if you disagree ... and would never recommend anyone do this to their equipment.

-- As far as your original Q... with gear lube .. depends on your goals. Is it to raise viscosity? .. is it to add sulphides (not recommended if it has a DPF on it). - With regard to extending oil changes, this has little to do with why someone would use gear-lube.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
(07-19-2020 )Pete1990 Wrote:  ... My last isx had 900K before a piston had a hole in it. I had a

That does not typically happen that late in the game unless usually (pick one) ...

* the bottom of the piston got build up with excess oil deposits from not changing it often enough. Easily found upon inspection of the pistons as they come out.

* De-mandate programming with excess injection timing, or some other cause of improper inj. timing like bad timing actuator, etc.

* Over-boosting too often and running the cylinder(s) too lean.

* some other form of neglect.

* Sudden inrush of water or other cool liquid entering the cylinder(s) when they were hot from heave torque applications.

* I have seen this failure from aftermarket EGR coolers that sent too hot of gasses into the intake of the engine because it was not thermally efficient enough.

* partially Clogged oil piston cooling nozzle form oil or other deposits.

-pistons do not burn holes in themselves for no reason just because they are old. A properly cared for ISX does not have problems like that in the bottom end arbitrarily .. it is always the head, rings, or a liner issue due to various causes of abuse that wears out first.

If I owned it, I would have been seriously concerned with that failure so that it can be prevented the next go around, as it should have never happened.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(07-19-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-19-2020 )Pete1990 Wrote:  ... My last isx had 900K before a piston had a hole in it. I had a

That does not typically happen that late in the game unless usually (pick one) ...

* the bottom of the piston got build up with excess oil deposits from not changing it often enough. Easily found upon inspection of the pistons as they come out.

* De-mandate programming with excess injection timing, or some other cause of improper inj. timing like bad timing actuator, etc.

* Over-boosting too often and running the cylinder(s) too lean.

* some other form of neglect.

* Sudden inrush of water or other cool liquid entering the cylinder(s) when they were hot from heave torque applications.

* I have seen this failure from aftermarket EGR coolers that sent too hot of gasses into the intake of the engine because it was not thermally efficient enough.

* partially Clogged oil piston cooling nozzle form oil or other deposits.

-pistons do not burn holes in themselves for no reason just because they are old. A properly cared for ISX does not have problems like that in the bottom end arbitrarily .. it is always the head, rings, or a liner issue due to various causes of abuse that wears out first.

If I owned it, I would have been seriously concerned with that failure so that it can be prevented the next go around, as it should have never happened.

It had a coolant leak at the number 6 on top of the piston. I drove it for a year like that as my goal was to just save and buy a newer truck as that one was less then a 10K truck. I wanted something newer and nicer. It was bore scoped and looked like a whole inside the piston. I ended up selling truck as is for around 9K after it was towed home.
I always take care of my truck anything goes wrong it's getting fixed.

Far as extended oil drains I'm not 100% sure I'm gonna do it if I do it won't be till it's out of the rebuild warranty and it doesn't have a DPF anymore.
I wanted to use the gear oil to put the additives back in that gear oil offers. In the last 2 years of owning this truck I have never once gone over 17K oil changes.
replyreply
(07-19-2020 )Pete1990 Wrote:  ... I'm not 100% sure I'm gonna do it if
I wanted to use the gear oil to put the additives back in that gear oil offers. In the last 2 years of owning this truck I have never once gone over 17K oil changes.

what make/model/year truck and engine? .. some related history would likely be appropriate too.

-- Reason why several ppl on here use gear oil is mainly to raise viscosity, as it is well known that slightly higher viscosity oil makes engine last longer. This especially as it ages. - The additives in the gear oil are better than the alternatives (like pukas), as most viscosity enhancer products on the market these days have absolutely no additives leading to a dilute result.

If your just looking for additives to help extend drain intervals, then maybe a good moly additive would be about the only thing that would help extend the drain intervals by a bit, but not by any large margins,.. but then by the time you pay for that, your right back at the same costs of just changing oil more often.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
(07-19-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-19-2020 )Pete1990 Wrote:  ... I'm not 100% sure I'm gonna do it if

what make/model/year truck and engine? .. some related history would likely be appropriate too.

-- Reason why several ppl on here use gear oil is mainly to raise viscosity, as it is well known that slightly higher viscosity oil makes engine last longer. This especially as it ages. - The additives in the gear oil are better than the alternatives (like pukas), as most viscosity enhancer products on the market these days have absolutely no additives leading to a dilute result.

If your just looking for additives to help extend drain intervals, then maybe a good moly additive would be about the only thing that would help extend the drain intervals by a bit, but not by any large margins,.. but then by the time you pay for that, your right back at the same costs of just changing oil more often.
Current truck is a 14 680 with the 2350 with around 60K on inframe with new head and had turbo gone thru. Truck is also deleted and don't normally boost like no tomorrow. Heck my oil doesn't start getting dark till around 7-8K oil samples always come back great
replyreply
Just a note on the gear oil. I have an emission friendly truck. Everything is intact and working great. I add one gallon of 80/90 gear oil when I change oil. I change every 15,000. Been doing this for six oil changes. Hasn't hurt mine yet to my knowledge. I go the 15,000 and don't have to add any oil between changes.

Going to keep doing it to mine. I have thought 25,000 miles on oil changes would be nice, but oil and filter is cheap. Camshaft and rockers not cheap. Makes me sleep well at night at least.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
(07-19-2020 )Mattman Wrote:  Just a note on the gear oil. I have an emission friendly truck. Everything is intact and working great. I add one gallon of 80/90 gear oil when I change oil. I change every 15,000. Been doing this for six oil changes. Hasn't hurt mine yet to my knowledge. I go the 15,000 and don't have to add any oil between changes.

Going to keep doing it to mine. I have thought 25,000 miles on oil changes would be nice, but oil and filter is cheap. Camshaft and rockers not cheap. Makes me sleep well at night at least.

The sulfur may hurt the dpf so in the long run you might be doing damage to the doc n dpf.
replyreply
Just changed oil today , but not oil filter. Oil had 8800 miles on it and 297 hrs. I pulled oil sample , I will post results when i get them. I added 10 gals of oil into the pan. I used Rotella 15w40. 2 of those gals where synthetic blend , they ( menards ) didnt have anymore of the regular Rotella. I plan on changing Oil and all filters in under 300 hrs.
replyreply
07-20-2020, (Subject: Extended oil drains ) 
Mixing oils sounds like bad joojo

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.