Extended oil drains
07-19-2020, (Subject: Extended oil drains ) 
Extended oil drains
Question about running extended oil drains. I have my bypass filter and I also do oil samples. If someone is running extended oil drains should they still are the 1 gallon of gear oil?
replyreply
RE: Extended oil drains
No to the extended oil drains, yes to the gear lube. Your saving a couple hundred dollars and causing more wear on your 30-40k engine. Your basically jumping over dollars to save dimes.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98
Rawze has a chart here somewhere that shows you when to change your oil based on the mpg your getting. I'll post it when I find it.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Squish099
Here you go

Rawze Wrote:
Do the right thing,.. change your oil based on your fuel consumption instead of regular mileage intervals.

Here is what I would recommend to others based on what I have seen..

If your average fuel mileage every 10,000 miles is ...

less than 5 MG -- Change your oil every 8,000 miles or so.

5 - 6 MPG -- Change your oil every 10,000 - 12,000 miles or so.

6 - 7 MPG -- Change your oil every 12,000 - 15,000 miles or so.

7 - 8 MPG -- Change your oil every 15,000 - 18,000 miles or so.

8 - 9 MPG -- Change your oil every 18,000 - 22,000 miles or so.

above 9 MPG -- Change your oil every 22,000 - 28,000 miles or so.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Squish099 , Brock , Canadian_eh85 , JMBT , Roysbigtoys
I know about the chart but the question is if someone is running extended drains is it still safe to run gear oil let's say for about 50K miles the dumping it.
replyreply
Why bother with the gear oil at all ?

replyreply
(07-19-2020 )Pete1990 Wrote:  I know about the chart but the question is if someone is running extended drains is it still safe to run gear oil let's say for about 50K miles the dumping it.

stop drinking the coolaide found on social medai and on the XM radio ... it only leads to more problems, not less.

every single person that I have net so far who swore that extended oil drains was good for their ISX ended up replacing overhead cams 2x more often than people who go a million+ on all original parts by not doing that crap.

THE MAIN PROBLEM is that oil separates under stress and heat load, and no amount of oil sampling will reveal it properly. Also, extended oil drains cause deposits in the cross channels of the rockers, etc. on the top end. This also happens with bypass filters on too.

It has been discussed time and again on here,.. and believe me if there were any actual merit to it,.. you'de be damned sure I would already be doing it.

-- here are some references:
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...2#pid35582
and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...4#pid40064
and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid29193

and there are likely a dozen more.

-- BYPASS FILTRATION -- NOT a bad idea,.. especially if you have a truck that is not de-mandated(deleted).. extending oil drains past what is recommended based on fuel mileage --== save your money for regular cam replacements ans other issues.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
(07-19-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-19-2020 )Pete1990 Wrote:  I know about the chart but the question is if someone is running extended drains is it still safe to run gear oil let's say for about 50K miles the dumping it.

stop drinking the coolaide found on social medai and on the XM radio ... it only leads to more problems, not less.

every single person that I have net so far who swore that extended oil drains was good for their ISX ended up replacing overhead cams 2x more often than people who go a million+ on all original parts by not doing that crap.

THE MAIN PROBLEM is that oil separates under stress and heat load, and no amount of oil sampling will reveal it properly. Also, extended oil drains cause deposits in the cross channels of the rockers, etc. on the top end. This also happens with bypass filters on too.

It has been discussed time and again on here,.. and believe me if there were any actual merit to it,.. you'de be damned sure I would already be doing it.

-- here are some references:
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...2#pid35582
and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...4#pid40064
and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...3#pid29193

and there are likely a dozen more.

-- BYPASS FILTRATION -- NOT a bad idea,.. especially if you have a truck that is not de-mandated(deleted).. extending oil drains past what is recommended based on fuel mileage --== save your money for regular cam replacements ans other issues.

It's not about the koolaid though. My last isx had 900K before a piston had a hole in it. I had a bypass and did oil changes every 40K. I've always oil sampled with a really good lab and I knew I had issues with my last truck. I was burning coolant at the number 6. The lab I use shows oxidation which helps IMO when reading a sample. Oil changes are $400 on the road right now at a local shop they are $370. My goal of the bypass system on this truck is to go every 30-40K and dump the oil as I wouldn't be using synthetic oil just normal T4 with gear oil to add some of that good additives.
replyreply
(07-19-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  Why bother with the gear oil at all ?

The additives in it that's why I wanna use it.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.