Cm870 low oil pressure
07-25-2020, (Subject: Cm870 low oil pressure ) 
RE: Cm870 low oil pressure
(07-23-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-23-2020 )berrytrucking94 Wrote:  I figured that would be the common answer here.

I’m stumped trying to figure where I went wrong with this, since I bought it with 380k miles 4yrs ago I’ve been the only driver and always tried to keep a close eye on the way it ran. Tuned by a member here, 10k oil changes, nothing but fleet guard filters w/ delo and sta lube added

Overhead run once a year..At one point I had fuel pump issues for a bit that wasn’t corrected right away. Also had a slowly sticking vg vein a while ago that may have been causing some over fueling? Could this hav affected it?

We haul 100k gross all day, could it be that? Did I go wrong somewhere with maintenance? Just plain bad luck?

If I can avoid this happening as fast in the future any advice is great

I would have suspected overhead not done every 2 years or so, but you said you did it every year. Would be interested in seeing how much wear there was on the rest of the bearings in the top end. It is kinda odd you lost 2 of them, I know they likely did not go at the same time. - It ever had a history of low oil pressure issues? - Overhead cam ever been replaced?

sounds like you went out of your way to take care of it fairly well according to your post, would be curious if you had other excess wear in that engine.

Have you ever let it overheat (coolant above 225F)? oil above 240f? - Would be curious what the ecm history reports for high coolant or high oil temps were.

I never let it overheat I don’t even like seeing the coolant temp get over 200°. There have been few times where the oil temp has hit about 240-245 hauling heavy here in MA in the summer but not often or for long. Once it’s reassembled I’ll hook insite up to see the ecm history and post.

Ill get crap for this and I regret doing it but about 2 years ago I had an adjustable fuel harness on it for about 6 months. Truck has a ~650/2250 tune and I’m sure the fuel harness on top of that did NOT do me any favors long term. It messed with my fuel actuators which I had to replace. Stupid on my part, never again.

The injector cam had some wear on all the bearings, two were totally spun almost out of the journal. Could see they were spun for a while but I didn’t start to notice oil pressure issues until 6-8 weeks ago.

The valve cam looked almost perfect, no scuffs or anything. Had golden tint/ smooth lobes all the way down. Extent of bearing wear on valve side was some discoloration but that’s it.

Liner height is sitting at .0010” all the way across. Cross hatching is still good on all of em. I know since we’re this far in it would make sense to do it and do it right but we are thinking of leaving the pistons and liners given the condition they’re in, and reusing the valve cam.

What would you guys say about reusing what we can? Truck needs to get back on the road asap and we’re on a budget

injector cam& spun bearings

journal in head

replyreply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cm870 low oil pressure - berrytrucking94 - 07-25-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.