Cm870 low oil pressure
07-24-2020, (Subject: Cm870 low oil pressure ) 
RE: Cm870 low oil pressure
Why was it sold at 380,000 miles?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
07-25-2020, (Subject: Cm870 low oil pressure ) 
(07-24-2020 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Why was it sold at 380,000 miles?

I bought from the original owner, came from a small fleet hauling fuel locally for their marina. Sold bc they were updating their trucks
replyreply
07-25-2020, (Subject: Cm870 low oil pressure ) 
(07-23-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-23-2020 )berrytrucking94 Wrote:  I figured that would be the common answer here.

I’m stumped trying to figure where I went wrong with this, since I bought it with 380k miles 4yrs ago I’ve been the only driver and always tried to keep a close eye on the way it ran. Tuned by a member here, 10k oil changes, nothing but fleet guard filters w/ delo and sta lube added

Overhead run once a year..At one point I had fuel pump issues for a bit that wasn’t corrected right away. Also had a slowly sticking vg vein a while ago that may have been causing some over fueling? Could this hav affected it?

We haul 100k gross all day, could it be that? Did I go wrong somewhere with maintenance? Just plain bad luck?

If I can avoid this happening as fast in the future any advice is great

I would have suspected overhead not done every 2 years or so, but you said you did it every year. Would be interested in seeing how much wear there was on the rest of the bearings in the top end. It is kinda odd you lost 2 of them, I know they likely did not go at the same time. - It ever had a history of low oil pressure issues? - Overhead cam ever been replaced?

sounds like you went out of your way to take care of it fairly well according to your post, would be curious if you had other excess wear in that engine.

Have you ever let it overheat (coolant above 225F)? oil above 240f? - Would be curious what the ecm history reports for high coolant or high oil temps were.

I never let it overheat I don’t even like seeing the coolant temp get over 200°. There have been few times where the oil temp has hit about 240-245 hauling heavy here in MA in the summer but not often or for long. Once it’s reassembled I’ll hook insite up to see the ecm history and post.

Ill get crap for this and I regret doing it but about 2 years ago I had an adjustable fuel harness on it for about 6 months. Truck has a ~650/2250 tune and I’m sure the fuel harness on top of that did NOT do me any favors long term. It messed with my fuel actuators which I had to replace. Stupid on my part, never again.

The injector cam had some wear on all the bearings, two were totally spun almost out of the journal. Could see they were spun for a while but I didn’t start to notice oil pressure issues until 6-8 weeks ago.

The valve cam looked almost perfect, no scuffs or anything. Had golden tint/ smooth lobes all the way down. Extent of bearing wear on valve side was some discoloration but that’s it.

Liner height is sitting at .0010” all the way across. Cross hatching is still good on all of em. I know since we’re this far in it would make sense to do it and do it right but we are thinking of leaving the pistons and liners given the condition they’re in, and reusing the valve cam.

What would you guys say about reusing what we can? Truck needs to get back on the road asap and we’re on a budget

injector cam& spun bearings

journal in head

replyreply
07-26-2020, (Subject: Cm870 low oil pressure ) 
(07-25-2020 )berrytrucking94 Wrote:  

I bought from the original owner, came from a small fleet hauling fuel locally for their marina. Sold bc they were updating their trucks

Sounds like local/short haul. Probably a fair amount of idling. Plus the fuel surge can be added stress on the driveline components. It's had a long life despite the low miles. Probably just wear and tear from the type of operation and whatever maintenance schedule they followed. However I would be surprised if there wasn't some connection between that 'adjustable fuel harness' and the injector cam wear. How do the pistons look? Was the ECM tuned by someone or is that it's factory tune? If someone else did it you may want to have someone on here look at it to make sure it's safe.

I see your point about only replacing some of the parts. If other components are in such good shape then why replace them? BUT, at over 650k and the fact that you've already put in the labor to take it apart, it might be more cost effective, long term, to do it all now. Otherwise you know you'll have to go back in at some point because those original components will eventually wear down. It's a judgement call, but I think I'd go the extra mile once I was that deep in. That's my opinion, but I'm no authority on this topic.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620
Did you pressurize the coolant and look for leaks around the liners before you took the head off?? For all you know you have a liner starting to sink right now. If so you'll be tearing back into it in short order AND you'll be replacing the head a second time because the liner will dance around and wear a groove in it. You aren't going to save any money by half assing it, many of us can attest to that!

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
Is that 0.010" with them all clamped or just at rest? It will definately run fine if you put it together but there's no way to know if it'll last 2 months or 2 years. It's very unlikely that they're all the exact same height. If those measurements are without a clamp then they will truly read around 0.008" which is horrible.

Since you're already going to need atleast a head and injector cam - You'd be mad not to go ahead with an overhaul kit and have the counterbores done.

Cross hatch condition is not an indicator of compression ring or rod/main bearing wear - Nobody knows what they are like until they are removed.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT , Waterloo
(07-25-2020 )berrytrucking94 Wrote:  

how many hours runtime on that engine?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(07-25-2020 )berrytrucking94 Wrote:  ...
Truck has a ~650/2250 tune and I’m sure the fuel harness on top of that did NOT do me any favors long term. It messed with my fuel actuators which I had to replace. Stupid on my part, never again.

You are right, I do have to point it out so that others can learn from, and stay well away form this type of backwards and abusive thinking...

That could totally explain the damage to the injector can bearings. not only do those stupid fuel fooling gimmik devices fool the ecm into thinking the fuel pressure is lower then it actually is, but it screws up the amount of fuel goi9ng into BOTH FUEL CHAMBER AND THE INJECTION TIMING CHAMBERS -- screwing up not only fuelling, fuel-air-mix, but also injection timing too. -- ALSO--- it very easily can over-fill/over-load the injection timing chambers of the injectors right along side over-filling/over-loading the metering chambers,... LEADING DIRECTLY TO EXCESSIVE CAM AND CAM BEARING OVERLOADING and stress. this is because of the excess injector height due to the the over-filled chambers. -- I.E.> THOSE GARBAGE-CAN DEVICES DO NOTHING BUT CAUSE DAMAGE, EXCESS DETONATION IN THE TOP END AND CHAMBERS, AND ABUSE, FLAT OUT!!!.

THROW THE F$^$ER IN THE TRASH CAN... immediately! -- AND GET THAT ABUSIVE PROGRAMMING OUT OF THAT DAMN ENGINE!!!

-- Now you know what the full story is,.. now you know that you cannot just abuse these engines with bulls@4it!... now you are paying for these mistakes. -- Like I said, the failure was not a normal process of wear.

-- ALSO-- with 2200+ft-lbs torque in that engine -- YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY ABUSING IT!!!! --- IT IS ADDED TORQUE THAT RUINS THE ISX, NOT SO MUCH HP!!!. - It is a matter of time, and you will be next crying that it dropped a liner!

YOU WANT THE TRUCK TO PULL BETTER--- FIX THE REAR AXLE RATIOS AND STOP ABUSING THE MOST EXPENSIVE COMPONENT IN THE DRIVE-LINE (the engine)!!!!

-- hopefully, you are starting to learn that the term "super-trucker" == "stupid-trucker!" and all the gimmicks and garbage on the internet and advertised that goes along with that type of s$ittyy thinking that plagues our industry. Get those kinds of thoughts out of your head and use it for more productive things like re-spec the rear axles or something that actually makes sense instead of resorting to abuse and then wondering why things fail.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(07-26-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  Did you pressurize the coolant and look for leaks around the liners before you took the head off?? For all you know you have a liner starting to sink right now. If so you'll be tearing back into it in short order AND you'll be replacing the head a second time because the liner will dance around and wear a groove in it. You aren't going to save any money by half assing it, many of us can attest to that!

We did not pressurize it and I wish we did. I’ve always stood by better safe than sorry with maintenance so why stop now right. This far in we might as well rip the rest out and start fresh
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.