Check engine codes
07-23-2020, (Subject: Check engine codes ) 
Check engine codes
Hi
I have a 2015 Prostar with an ISX15 2350. The check engine light came on. Is there a method to pull the active code or do I have to buy a scanner? If i need a scanner can anyone recommend one?
The truck seems to be running fine with decent fuel economy.

Ty, Jh
replyreply
RE: Check engine codes
How many miles?

If you are going to own and keep this truck, you will need an Inline Reader and Insite. Check eBay, search for Inline 6, they have the kits from $200 on up with everything you need. Get one.

I have that large monitor screen in mine that gives all of the diagnostic codes, but on yours, if you do not have that 5 inch screen, I would think the codes would show up when you turn the key on, or when you start the truck on the odometer screen.

Which light is going off? One of the triangles or the actual check engine light?

Is the truck still mandated or has it been deleted? Ever perform an EGR tuneup? How about that fuel pump? Do you know if that has been rebuilt or replaced? Overhead? If still mandated, cans been off to bake and de-ash? How about the SCR system, ever been serviced?

There is an unfortunate amount of maintenance on these EPA trucks, quite a bit, to the point of ridiculous in some cases. You really need to step up and learn the systems along with purchasing the proper tools to maintain one, and a willingness to get your hands dirty. You found the right spot to be if you are up to the task of listening and doing for yourself.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
How are you a contributing member and you've never heard of insite?? Weird

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(07-23-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  How are you a contributing member and you've never heard of insite?? Weird

contributing member means someone made a forum donation at some point in the past.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I just found it odd that he's donating to a forum that he doesn't spend much time on thats all. Lol

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
07-25-2020, (Subject: Check engine codes ) 
Hi
Thanks for the suggestions. The check engine light is on, not the triangles. I am getting an ABS module code on startup.

My truck has 446723 miles. I am on the way home in the next week or so and will attempt an EGR tune up. The truck has not been deleted.

The filter and doc were cleaned before I picked it up. I have to find out about the fuel pump asap. I had an overhead set done before picking it up.l

I am guessing I can get insite for my laptop, and I will keep that onboard from now on. I'll just have to figure out how to install and use it lol. Thanks for the info. I really want to stay out of the shop, especially the dealership.

This site is a great resource, and I can't thank you enough for the info!
replyreply
07-26-2020, (Subject: Check engine codes ) 
Could be a canbus issue, you need to get a diagnostic computer on it to trace the fault code. If the ABS light is going off, that normally entails getting into the cab or body controller, you will need a copy of Diamond Logic and an Inline 6 reader or take it too an International dealer and have them diagnose. Or, Love's and International have teamed up, I would think Love's would have the Diamond Logic software and should be able to discover the issue, or at least get you pointed in the right direction.

On my ProStar, I had the ABS, Jake, TC and another idiot light going off. Turns out it was the compass module that was bad. Yes, the compass, N, S, E, W. I replaced that, $20 off of eBay vs $400 at the dealership, fixed the problem.

Bottom line, diagnostic software may be the best way to chase this issue down.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(07-25-2020 )Jonwilliamone Wrote:  Hi
Thanks for the suggestions. The check engine light is on, not the triangles. I am getting an ABS module code on startup.

My truck has 446723 miles. I am on the way home in the next week or so and will attempt an EGR tune up. The truck has not been deleted.

The filter and doc were cleaned before I picked it up. I have to find out about the fuel pump asap. I had an overhead set done before picking it up.l

I am guessing I can get insite for my laptop, and I will keep that onboard from now on. I'll just have to figure out how to install and use it lol. Thanks for the info. I really want to stay out of the shop, especially the dealership.

This site is a great resource, and I can't thank you enough for the info!

If you want to stay out of shops/dealers then a basic laptop, an Inline 6 adapter and a copy of Insite 7.6 will help. Also, register your engine with a free account on Cummins Quickserve. You'll have access to everything you'll need to diagnose and repair your engine and aftertreatment system. May not be helpful with this issue, but if your aftertreatment system is still intact then you will eventually spend a lot of time troubleshooting that! Rawze has a video on his YouTube about installing Insite. (See the Videos section above)

Also, that fuel pump should be a top concern right now. It's right at the age where they tend to go bad. It's really easy to do yourself, just follow the procedures. Here's a playlist I created with fuel pump and other helpful videos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...rI2koFeuqP

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
JimT, appreciate the playlist, should give a quick reference point to the guys tackling those issues.

-----> on another note, I dig that 80's Synthwave mix I saw on your channel!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.