Crank seal tool
07-26-2020, (Subject: Crank seal tool ) 
Crank seal tool
I've got a oil leak up front and can't quite tell where from but I'd like to be prepared to be pulling apart the front structure. A mechanic told me you need a cam seal tool just to get the front cover off, not even the structure.

Problem is I'm having trouble tracking down the part number for the puller/install tool. I've come up with a part number but Cummins has come up with two others and say they actually aren't sure.

Thanks guys.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
RE: Crank seal tool
Brock, I had a similar leak. No clue where at front structure. I went to NAPA and bought 8 bottles of that Oil UV Dye and an inexpensive UV light kit. Dumped the bottles in the crankcase, drove around for half an hour... I found the leak, I thought it was down near the crankshaft, it was right up there at the top cover, on driver side where crankcase filter box is... I fixed the leak in the driveway, gasket looked good, replaced and then ran a small bead of rtv around the front. Near as I can figure there was some slight warp age to the cover. No leaky.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
RE: Crank seal tool
The front crank seal replacer tool for all dual cam ISX is 3162992.

You can remove the seal with prybars if you are careful to only lever from solid points like the bolts and not the cover itself. Make sure you undo the 10mm nuts on the seal first.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , Brock , JMBT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.