Is it time for new Shock Absorbers?
02-27-2016, (Subject: Is it time for new Shock Absorbers? ) 
Is it time for new Shock Absorbers?
My Truck is the 2008 ProStar...

I needed shocks, and was having a hell of a time finding something that was not OEM, as I have not been that impressed with the quality of the stuff International sells. For the ProStar, I found the Gabriel GasSLX Adjustable shock, and that was about it in aftermarket shocks for my truck other than one other that was not well rated. Here are the Gabriel shocks for the ProStar drives... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J94...detailpage

I checked Monroe, and they had nothing for the drives, I could not believe it. So I said what the heck, I'll give these Gabriels a shot. They were cheap in regards to price, at least compared to the dealer for the OEM Monroes. I set the Gabriels in the middle range, and what a difference. I really like these shocks, and they have been holding up well over the past year. These same shocks sell for $100+ in the shops. So, for $56 ea on Amazon, you really cannot beat these.

For the steers, I used these Monroes, they were the only available shocks for the front of the ProStar... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IA9...detailpage

These also sell for $100 + in the shops, so $65 ea on Amazon was a no brainer.

Hope this helps!
replyreply
04-15-2016, (Subject: Is it time for new Shock Absorbers? ) 
RE: Is it time for new Shock Absorbers?
Hey Waterloo, I changed my shocks about 4 months ago. This is second time I use Monroe. For front my truck uses same # as yours. I have 2009 PROSTAR. For rear, parts place told me there is none that cross reference. The time before that they gave me Monroe's that matched for rear so I just gave them the # off shock. 65492 is that #.
This time around I haven't had good results. Front shock is out, leaked oil and has a crack by wear it bolts to truck. Also one on rear is out, oil leaked out as well. I think I will try Gabriel. Anyone else have any insight? What does everyone else use?
replyreply
04-15-2016, (Subject: Is it time for new Shock Absorbers? ) 
I was just at the shop today, mine are fine on the steers, no issues, and it has been about 9 months with them. And I hear you on the cross reference, I could not find Monroes for the rear. Only shock available is the Gabriel for rear from what I know, other than the OEM one.

The Gabriel shocks I have on the rear end are doing fine too... No signs of leaks there, the GSLX adjustables, I just power washed her and they were good to go... I made it a point to check all of the shocks all the way around for leaks before I started washing, just road grime. I washed her in my driveway.

I wish I had something better to tell you. These ProStars and shocks, not much out there unless you go with those hand built Fox type shocks, but they are like $300 or $400 ea. I was not going to go there.

Oh, you should have a warranty on those failed shocks if it has only been a few months... I would look into that. Get a spare set. Call Monroe, they are up here in Detroit, good guys, as I have called them before.
replyreply
04-21-2016, (Subject: Is it time for new Shock Absorbers? ) 
I found this correct Gabriel shocks and correct cross reference number for the prostars for the steer axle here is the part# if someone it's looking for not an OEM shock I paid 53.97 each ./uploads/201604/post_1707_1461212567_23b095a20aee1e21a61240d809f7cfa6.jpg
replyreply
04-21-2016, (Subject: Is it time for new Shock Absorbers? ) 
Just remember that the front shocks have a maximum stroke length. That stroke length needs to be the same.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Paccardude
08-08-2020, (Subject: Is it time for new Shock Absorbers? ) 
Hi Waterloo and Rawze,

I just purchased some of the Gabriel's drives and am going to replace the steers and drives. The passenger steer has been leaking oil and now there is a slight wear on the outside steer tire, also excessive vibration at beginning of acceleration. The Gabriel gas shocks come in three settings Regular, firm, and Extra firm. Which of these three do you recommend? I'm usually hauling less than 30,000 lbs.

Cheers

User's Signature: We're a full grid off.
replyreply
(08-08-2020 )Paccardude Wrote:  Hi Waterloo and Rawze,

I just purchased some of the Gabriel's drives and am going to replace the steers and drives. The passenger steer has been leaking oil and now there is a slight wear on the outside steer tire, also excessive vibration at beginning of acceleration. The Gabriel gas shocks come in three settings Regular, firm, and Extra firm. Which of these three do you recommend? I'm usually hauling less than 30,000 lbs.

Cheers

I have mine set at medium, I have the adjustable Gabriels on my drives. If I had to choose, I would probably go with the firm shock over the regular. I haul lite too, the ride is good, now if they would just fix the damn roads!

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
There's construction all the way down 95. I'm not sure why we have to pay tolls while construction is underway. Best to take 66 to 17 to by pass past Washington.

User's Signature: We're a full grid off.
replyreply
It is just gnarly out there, I think I broke something yesterday coming into Michigan, pavement collapse, did not see it until it was too late, BANG! Always something...

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.