Time to Inframe?
07-29-2020, (Subject: Time to Inframe? ) 
RE: Time to Inframe?
That cam is bad!!!! needs to be dealt with now...

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT
(07-29-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  Jim, that cam is coming apart little by little every day and releasing metal fragments into your engine. I don't think I would wait to long on the inframe, or atleast change the cam and drop some lower end bearings and check or replace them and get a look at your crank.

Yeah, I'm not planning on putting off the repairs. Maybe I phrased it wrong. It's damaged, I now know it's damaged. The question right now is, do I replace just the cam now and wait on the in-frame, or do I do everything now? I don't know yet what replacing the cam entails. If it's a lot of labor that I'll have to do again come in frame time, maybe I just do it all together?

Thanks to the Covid pandemic I managed to get an SBA EIDL loan that should cover all the parts for an in frame, but it would be nice to have a bit more cushion before I get in to something that big. I'm just trying to make the best informed decision that I can. As to my question about running the truck, it would only be until I can get all the parts needed and even that would be as little as possible. My gut says don't push it, but my brain wants more data to make an informed decision.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
cam will require either head off to repair or CAC/RAD/AC cond and maybe for ease hood taken off only 2 ways i know.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
07-30-2020, (Subject: Time to Inframe? ) 
Some trucks, the cam can be slid out the back through the dog box in to the cab.

Detroit (60 series) made a cam that you can literally pick straight up off the head. I dont know why other engine manufacturers don't design them this way. You have to get to the top of the engine to adjust valves so access should always be there. Even in marine and generator applications.... IDK. I wouldn't think it would be a trademark issue.

JimT more than likely your whole front end will or should have to come off to get it out. To replace a cam you are literally half way to fully doing and in frame. All thats left is to unbolt the head, drop the oil pan and pull piston packs. Granted thats the most expensive parts but labor is half the cost of the job.
replyreply
Jim, I hate to see this, you know my story... Have you called (Jerry) Mr Hagg? Looks like a basic in frame, not much more, it may not be as bad as you think. Your downtime would be minimal and the job would be done right. Mr Hagg removes the hood, lifts out the front structure in one shot, passenger side of motor comes off in one piece, pretty cool, head comes off, drop pan, internals come out, ready for ledges/shims and new parts. Mr Hagg and his team have this down to a science.

Personally, I would bobtail down there and get her done. Hotel is nearby, Mr Hagg has vehicles to drive, and if you want to help, he will allow you to get dirty, its your truck. Bring a bag of tools...

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
If you think you are due for an inframe then rip into it very soon. That cam will eventually get to a point where the valve bridge jumps off and you'll have to tow it.
replyreply
(07-30-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  Jim, I hate to see this, you know my story... Have you called (Jerry) Mr Hagg? Looks like a basic in frame, not much more, it may not be as bad as you think. Your downtime would be minimal and the job would be done right. Mr Hagg removes the hood, lifts out the front structure in one shot, passenger side of motor comes off in one piece, pretty cool, head comes off, drop pan, internals come out, ready for ledges/shims and new parts. Mr Hagg and his team have this down to a science.

Personally, I would bobtail down there and get her done. Hotel is nearby, Mr Hagg has vehicles to drive, and if you want to help, he will allow you to get dirty, its your truck. Bring a bag of tools...

No, haven't talked to anyone yet. Finished putting the engine back together last night, ate dinner and posted here. I knew as soon as I saw the damage that a new cam would be on my parts list. It also confirmed my feeling that something wasn't right. Nothing distinct to point to, just a general sense that something subtle felt or sounded off. I had blocked off this entire week to investigate, glad I did.

No, I won't be stupid and try to run any more loads with the cam as it is! I was tired and not thinking straight when I posted that last night.

In addition to the normal parts, assuming a new head, and the cam shaft, I also need a new crankshaft damper and CAC. I also want to replace the wiring harnesses while I'm in there and probably a few other misc things that I'm forgetting. Also want to inspect the bottom end and need to be prepared to address anything I find there too. When all is said and done I don't think I can swing all the needed parts AND pay someone to do the work. And after everything I've learned here over the last year, I want to be involved with the process to gain more knowledge and experience and ensure things are done correctly.

Started looking through the procedures this morning for camshaft replacement. Doesn't look that difficult. Not sure yet what kind of tools I'd need to buy, but I think I can do it here in my driveway. I'd love to try to do the full inframe here but I know there's some special tools that I don't have for that job. Not to mention a lack of experience doing something like that.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
(07-30-2020 )JimT Wrote:  Started looking through the procedures this morning for camshaft replacement. Doesn't look that difficult. Not sure yet what kind of tools I'd need to buy, but I think I can do it here in my driveway. I'd love to try to do the full inframe here but I know there's some special tools that I don't have for that job. Not to mention a lack of experience doing something like that.

You will need the wedge kit, Cummins usually stocks it or you can get on line. Lots of Permatex Slick Lube, Loc-Tite 609, front cover gasket and a second set of hands. It was not that difficult once the hood and front structure are out of the way. Just watch your hands as the there are some sharp edges in the head...

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
Yeah, so far the biggest challenge I see will be rigging up something to remove the hood, but I'm confident I can handle that. If I pull everything up front I'll probably replace the CAC and damper at the same time.

So at this point its really just a question of can I just do the cam now and safely wait on the inframe? Or is there some other risk I'm not aware of that would necessitate the full inframe be done instead?

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.