Pulled fuel pump head and broke a bolt
07-26-2020, (Subject: Pulled fuel pump head and broke a bolt ) 
Pulled fuel pump head and broke a bolt
Set out yesterday to check the fuel pump and broke one of the bolts on the head. Any advice on getting this thing out? The one I broke is on the right, engine block side. I'm seriously thinking about buying an angle drill today in hopes of getting into that space better. I started drilling last night with a small left hand bit.
replyreply
RE: Pulled fuel pump head and broke a bolt
If it's broken above the surface, the best method would be to weld a nut to it. Then work it back and forth until it unscrews completely.

If it's below the surface, I would definately consider removing the pump to extract the bolt on a bench.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Meanwhile
Thank you! It's broke at the surface so I'm gonna take the pump off and try to get it out. Trying to short-cut this could get more expensive than necessary.
replyreply
07-29-2020, (Subject: Pulled fuel pump head and broke a bolt ) 
I ended up taking the pump to a machine shop to have the broken bolt removed. After all of this I'm just gonna put the new tappets and plungers in, the tappets look a bit worn. Since I've got to bar the motor to time the pump I'm debating on trying to do the overhead too.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
(07-29-2020 )Meanwhile Wrote:  I ended up taking the pump to a machine shop to have the broken bolt removed. After all of this I'm just gonna put the new tappets and plungers in, the tappets look a bit worn. Since I've got to bar the motor to time the pump I'm debating on trying to do the overhead too.

Might as well check the overhead. Not gonna hurt anything. I'm doing mine right now. Only been a little over a year, about 80k miles, since I had a local mechanic do it. But I've been itching to get in an check his work for a few months now.

As for new pump guts, that won't hurt either. Tappets a little worn, how's the pump look inside?

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Meanwhile
When I first took the tappet out I wiped the inside and it looked ok. I didn’t feel any ridge inside. I’ve gotta go pick the pump from the machine shop today, I’ll take a better look at it when I get back. I’ve got to order a new gasket for it and thought about new bolts too.
replyreply
I got my pump back. I had duct tape covering the bores for the tappets which was basically gone when I got it back. Luckily the tappets were still in there which I packed paper towels into them to keep stuff out. I went around everything I could think of with a magnet and got as much metal shavings as possible. I hope I got them all. After pulling the tappets out, I wiped all the oil off the bores and took a good look. There is wear on the walls. The tappet wear I can feel with a fingernail. Here’s a few close ups of the cylinder walls. Should I put it back together or should I get a new pump?

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
boy I don't know..... that pump is nothing to play around with. If its questionable and its already off your probably best to replace it. Is that metal debris I see in the bottom picture? I'm interested to see what these guys say.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Meanwhile
Looking at that picture I can't say for sure at the moment. I magnetized a small screwdriver and ran it all over wiping it frequently with paper towels, I can do it again. I tried not to rotate the cam very much. The worse wear spots are where the pins in the tappets ride. Another thing I noticed were the guide pins inside, they rotate really easy.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.