Helping JimT out with an inframe ...
08-14-2020, (Subject: Helping JimT out with an inframe ... ) 
RE: Helping JimT out with an inframe ...
You decided not to pressurize your cooling system to look for dropped liner/ head gasket problems before disassembly? I know it doesn't matter because its all getting replaced but just one more piece of the puzzle ya know?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic
Once I found the bad cam lobe and given my consumption of 1 gallon oil every 3,000 miles it was clear that I was just going to do an inframe, so no, didn't bother to pressure test. I also didn't consume coolant.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , redbeard
Thanks for the update and the pics. I love following along in these in depth overhauls and rebuilds. I learn a ton every time.
replyreply
(08-14-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  You decided not to pressurize your cooling system to look for dropped liner/ head gasket problems before disassembly? I know it doesn't matter because its all getting replaced but just one more piece of the puzzle ya know?

There's no substitute for actually measuring the ledges once the liners are removed and the deck surface cleaned. Also, if the block hasnt been machined before, there are clearly visible machining grooves/lines around the ledge - If they smooth out or disappear at any point then the liner has been moving.

Not trying to shoot you down, but checking for liner o-ring leaks before disassembly is only worth doing if you are diagnosing a coolant usage issue.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , tree98 , JimT , redbeard
JimT, how was the oil pressure during the time you had it? From the looks seems like it would've been on the lower range....just curious

Thanks for the pics and info on everything so far!
replyreply
(08-14-2020 )Signature620 Wrote:  
(08-14-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  You decided not to pressurize your cooling system to look for dropped liner/ head gasket problems before disassembly? I know it doesn't matter because its all getting replaced but just one more piece of the puzzle ya know?

There's no substitute for actually measuring the ledges once the liners are removed and the deck surface cleaned. Also, if the block hasnt been machined before, there are clearly visible machining grooves/lines around the ledge - If they smooth out or disappear at any point then the liner has been moving.

Not trying to shoot you down, but checking for liner o-ring leaks before disassembly is only worth doing if you are diagnosing a coolant usage issue.

Good to know thanks!!

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620
(08-14-2020 )SquareOne Wrote:  JimT, how was the oil pressure during the time you had it? From the looks seems like it would've been on the lower range....just curious

Thanks for the pics and info on everything so far!

Mostly pretty steady. Around 36-38 psi operating about 1500rpm. Around 18-20 psi at idle (720 rpm). Cold starts would be about 40psi at idle up to 60psi only if I tried to drive before it warmed up above 150F. There were occasional fluctuations, but never more then 2-3 psi and usually coincided with high or low ambient temps, or a long pull up a grade. Don't remember seeing it drop below 18 at idle.

Pulling a grade, recently, I started to notice the pressure slowly drop to around 32 psi, then return to normal after I got back toward level ground. But that was only in the last week or so before I parked it for an oil change and overhead adjustment. Went about 17k on that oil adding a gallon every 3k. So, not sure how the oil life played into what I was seeing there.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , Brock , redbeard
08-15-2020, (Subject: Helping JimT out with an inframe ... ) 
(08-14-2020 )Signature620 Wrote:  ... measuring the ledges

Plan is to counter-bore it to raise liner height, even if it was ok.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
08-15-2020, (Subject: Helping JimT out with an inframe ... ) 
Nothing much to report today. Finished pulling the liners today, in between pulling the tarp over to keep the rain out. Parts won't be in until Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning, so not too much to do until then. I plan on cleaning, painting and fixing up the wire looms while I'm bored.

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.