Helping JimT out with an inframe ...
08-24-2020, (Subject: Helping JimT out with an inframe ... ) 
RE: Helping JimT out with an inframe ...
Anything happening here??

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete
08-24-2020, (Subject: Helping JimT out with an inframe ... ) 
Any issues found when cutting the lowers in that 152 block? I seem to run into cracks much deeper than .032 on those.
replyreply
08-25-2020, (Subject: Helping JimT out with an inframe ... ) 
(08-24-2020 )Agentspd Wrote:  Any issues found when cutting the lowers in that 152 block? I seem to run into cracks much deeper than .032 on those.

most f the time, stress cracks do not hurt them unless they are severe.

i did not see any when i cut them.. it looked good.

He is waiting on more parts. Couple pieces were missing in the overhaul kit, keeping him fron installing the last liner. They are giving him the missing parts for free, he should get them today.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
{post deleted -- bad information}
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , redbeard
Is there a way to tell from serial number which liners are used in any particular engine? Does it show up on quickserve ?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(08-25-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  Is there a way to tell from serial number which liners are used in any particular engine? Does it show up on quickserve ?

nope. Its 60% you have standard liners, and 40% you have the larger ones.

Personally, I have never seen more problems with 152 liners vs. 150's.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
08-26-2020, (Subject: Helping JimT out with an inframe ... ) 
Yes if you run your esn thru quickserve you can identify your liner size.

{rest of post deleted -- bad information}
replyreply
(08-26-2020 )Agentspd Wrote:  Yes if you run your esn thru quickserve you can identify your liner size. I always tell guys to do so before buying used trucks.

-- Some truck owners, if they knew exactly what they had (or at least thought they knew) would pre-purchase an overhaul kit and have it sitting around for a year or more in anticipation of an inframe... to write it off on their taxes,.. or perhaps to spread out the costs over time so that they are prepared ... Now just think how disappointed they would be if they opened up their engine after 1.5 or 2 years down the road and they had the wrong size overhaul kit and liners ... and how the place they got the kit from will not take it back or exchange it now. ... That would totally suck!

I have my doubts that you can just look it up (at least I have not see this the case reliably yet myself) ... Show me the screen on Quickserv that tell someone RELIABLY that they have 152 liners instead of 150's based on their ser#. - I just happened to have have 2 engine ser#'s (one that had each different sizes in them) to look up to see if this is true or not. ... in fact, don't bother... this is bad information, plain and simple. Here is the correct info...

./uploads/202008/post_2_1598444890_9ee679afa0b3e384e678e44ed89d08d2.jpg
ref: https://quickserve.cummins.com/qs3/pubsy...10277.html

(08-26-2020 )Agentspd Wrote:  ...I may be incorrect on this but a few years ago i read someplace that cummins tried to meet epa 10 by using the HPCR system and punch the blocks out to 16 litre and avoid using def/scr to treat nox. ...

This sounds like some some social medai garbage rumors that does not really belong here on the forum.

There has always been several reasons that I have been told (by the people at cummins) that they sometimes use 152 liners instead of 150's and it has nothing to do with left-over experiments. Even the old 570's from back in the early days can be one or the other. A lot of it has to do with avail. of K series parts vs. X series in-house stock and availiability vs. demand.. and also the ability to clean up the block after the cast or during reman process if they need to cut a bit more out of it. Same thing for the random bearings found on the bottom end... it is just completely unpredictable. (bottom end ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid32065 )

Please have your facts straight if you going to post stuff like that on here... this ain't social media ... I curate this forum to exclude false information, or information that is clearly going to be harmful or cause someone more grief that they are trying to remedy.

-- Its great that your here to learn and participate .. but try not to post speculative nonsense onto my forum. It will get you kicked off here in a hurry. -- and if your experiences with 150 vs. 152 liners has been bad then perhaps you should be looking deeper into your own shops practices, tolerances or methods ... because no one in many years of helping them, nor does any of the shops highly recommended by this forum have had any of those experiences, as they also do things 100% the right ways. Although an interesting concept/thought/point of speculation ... This difference of 0.039" per side on 150 vs. 152 liners is not really any of the problem so much as that it is an engine internal friction issue that MUST BE KEPT IN CHECK by that ecm, its programming, and by the way the engine is driven in lower rpm ranges due to the shortened rod design of the ISX enigne. The 2 Most common causes of premature liner fretting failures are bad driving habits due to the truck geared incorrectly for its load and use (plus low-end torque added) then the engine being lugged its whole life below 1500 rpm. -- BAD DRIVING HABITS, higher than normal low-end torque, AND BAD GEARING OF THE TRUCK that accommodated driving it like this.

The second cause is the fact that 60%+ of all ISX's owned by single truck or small fleet Owner-ops out there are in fact deleted and that 90+% of those trucks HAVE BAD PROGRAMMING IN THEM that accelerates liner fretting issues greatly. Once someone removes that egr gas, that ECM completely looses its ability to control internal piston/skirt friction in a hurry ... and without heavy compensations to reduce this added internal friction, the engine is doomed to suffer repeated failures..,,.. hence one of the main reasons that 90%+ of all delete programming is ABSOLUTELY BAD because most of them could care less once they get that money from you ... is very real problem.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...8#pid15548
and ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...8#pid19318

replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , Pd6cas2 , JMBT , Toolguy
How to check liner size, ok so to continue on about this. I had to check again i have just gotten the liner size from a very good parts guy. The system used was qyickserve in the past but cummins had s new system on the parts side but its actually very simple on your phone, this can be done on pc as well just look for the tabs:
1)http://www.parts.cummins.com
2) enter your esn
3) select base engine
4) reference liner in the diagram
5) p# 2881719 is 152 liner
P# 4089153 is 150

Im told by a real reliable source its never wrong. Keep in mind that u use the esn of the block. Balve covers r easy to, engjne swapping these days happens alot. On the Sohc engines the blick esn is stamped on flat surface just rear of egr cooler. Im not sure where on the Dohc the esn is stamped but im sure its on there. All reman/drop in/ longblock/ new bare blocks are all 150 mm.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.