Helping JimT out with an inframe ...
08-26-2020, (Subject: Helping JimT out with an inframe ... ) 
RE: Helping JimT out with an inframe ...
So, on topic, here's a quick update:

Finally got the shims needed to install liner #6. It's in and all 6 pistons got installed today. Liner protrusions all measured .016, which Rawze says will work well once both shims (.020 and .030) crush together. He says that after it crushes and settles it will end up at .015.

We had a machine shop replace the wrist pin bushings on the rods. Much cheaper then swapping out from the dealer, but they needed a little extra attention to detail. One side of each of the new bushings had metal shavings embedded in them and the oil drillings in the bushings had some material that wasn't completely removed. So, took a little extra time to clean up after them, but should fine. Pictures in the album.

In the meantime it was determined that I should replace the oil cooler due to the potential for metal debris clogging up the passages. Got that in and ready to swap out but they don't supply a new gasket in the overhaul kit so I'm waiting for that.

Also, I went ahead and opened up the head on my fuel pump. Quick recap, I got code 559 in Dec. of 2018, found this forum and figured out the issue and rebuilt the head in June of 2019. At that time 3/4 of one ceramic plunger was missing and one of the tappet rollers was chewed up. I didn't note any damage to the cam at that time. ----- Well, this time the plungers were fine! But the same roller was chewed up again. This time the cam was also chewed up. The other side, which showed no damage the first time was showing signs of wear. Again, these parts were replaced 13 months ago. If I had to guess, the cam was probably worn and I just missed it the first time. ----- So, ordered a new fuel pump to go with everything else. Of course, the new pump has 2 fuel ports on the upper side of the rear housing, instead of on the lower side like my old pump... So, had to halt changing that out so i could order some new fuel supply lines.

So, right now with the overhaul kit, including the main bearings, the new head (ordered/payed for a reman, got a new one in the box, lucky gamble), new cam ($1900), new rockers, new crankshaft damper, new oil pump, new oil cooler, new fuel pump ($3,400), any misc items and anything else I'm probably forgetting, the total is up to about $23,500.

Been losing a lot of time to rain. Mid-day thunder storms, full day rain, ground flooding under the engine where I'm trying to work. Even just the threat of rain has me pulling the tarp over the engine since it's partially exposed and runoff from the tractor roof comes down into the engine bay. But, it's coming along.

Again, keep an eye on the photo album as I add new pics daily and there's way too many to constantly post here.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nmzav1DWydFRFUMq8

---------------------

Today I'll leave you all with a bonus recipe:

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pd6cas2 , SquareOne , Nostalgic , Chamberpains , JMBT , redbeard , Waterloo , tree98 , Roysbigtoys , hhow55 , ZeroNthedark , Toolguy

Messages In This Thread
RE: Helping JimT out with an inframe ... - JimT - 08-26-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.