Helping JimT out with an inframe ...
08-28-2020, (Subject: Helping JimT out with an inframe ... ) 
RE: Helping JimT out with an inframe ...
Ah. Yeah, there's a paint mark on mine. Didn't realize that was a bypass valve there or that it was updated at some point.

I agree with redbeard, based on the way the oil circulates through the fuel pump and back into the engine, I don't see how an update to the bypass would help with debris from the pump. Only real benefit is that it's more likely to get deposited in the filter, when it flows through there.

-------------

Not too much progress today. Painted some parts, cleaned up a ton of oil/dirt/grime build-up around the fuel pump area (so I don't contaminate anything when I install the new pump), went out to pick up some more minor parts. Spent 3 hours trying to install a damn P-clip on an updated fuel line for the new fuel pump. I'd like to bitch slap the "engineer" who decided to locate the p-clip in the most physically inaccessible location ever. Can't even get my fingers into the tiny cavity and of course the capscrew just won't angle the right way to go through the p-clip and into the block. Eventually gave up. Maybe I'll try again after I get the new pump installed tomorrow.

Don't have any pictures of it, but the area in the front structure where the gear for the fuel pump sits is scraped up really good, all the way around. Must have had some good sized debris come out of the pump and get ground down through the gear in the lower front gear housing. The teeth on the gear from the old fuel pump showed some minor signs of damage too, but luckily no other gears in the front housing show any signs of damage.

Goal for tomorrow is to get the new fuel pump installed, oil cooler replaced and the bottom end finished up (torque the piston rods, install new oil pump, piston cooling nozzles and stiffener plate). Maybe install the new head if there's enough time. Still need to finish sanding down the rust and peeling paint on the oil pan, coroseal, por-15 and then probably hit it with a nice coat of red. Much easier to do it now while it's off and not working upside down.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , redbeard , JMBT

Messages In This Thread
RE: Helping JimT out with an inframe ... - JimT - 08-28-2020

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.