Fmi 157 spn 18
08-09-2020, (Subject: Fmi 157 spn 18 ) 
RE: Fmi 157 spn 18
Mount holly, n.c.
replyreply
08-10-2020, (Subject: Fmi 157 spn 18 ) 
250-350 maybe 500 total for software and a decent laptop should be a very minor expense for any truck especially for how vital that purchase is to not kill your 35-40k engine. I mean I bought this truck and spent like 6 grand before putting it on the road as I put new drives as I refuse to use retreads also new shocks, sensors, and everything else I figured a 600k truck needed. It's just good business to invest in your money maker. Hell I had in-site and ct before I ever bought my first truck to make sure I was setup then found rawze's site and found everything else I should do to keep the truck making money.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
I might be up in Charlotte Monday afternoon....I have insite with me. If I am that way I could help you out.
replyreply
(08-09-2020 )Hallmanhauling Wrote:  Unfortunately I don’t have the on-site software to be able to do the test. I’ve been looking around for the software but haven’t been able to get it yet.

all you need is an inline-6 adapter off e-bay/china for a few hundred bucks and a cheap laptop. Insite software for the red engines is all over the internet (for free) for those who simply look for it.

most of the people on this forum have it, as they got sick of giving money away needlessly to the stealers#its a long time ago.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Thanks for all the help guys. I took it to Cummins today luckily we have one in Charlotte. I’m hoping it won’t be too bad. I am definitely going to set aside for the adapter for Insite. Does it have to be a new computer? I have an old laptop that I haven’t used in a couple years but if possible then I can just dedicate that computer to the Insite software.
replyreply
(08-10-2020 )Hallmanhauling Wrote:  I have an old laptop that I haven’t used in a couple years but if possible then I can just dedicate that computer to the Insite software.

good idea, do that

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
08-14-2020, (Subject: Fmi 157 spn 18 ) 
I called Cummins today to check on the truck and was told that there mechanics couldn’t get the code to pop back up. But that they also couldn’t find anything wrong with the truck either. I told them when I dropped the truck off Monday that if they clear the code to get it to come back on they needed to drive the truck for about 15 miles going down the interstate and then get off and get back on the interstate and give it wide open throttle to get back up to speed and the code would come back on. It seems like that is the only time the code will pop up unless I am pulling a load up a hill. I tried to tell him that I replaced the high pressure pump and rail sensor about 3 months ago but of coarse he said that he didn’t need to know that information. That Cummins has steps they have to go through to find out what causes a code. I need my dang truck back.
replyreply
They will install a new turbo and call it a day... Did you order an Inline Reader yet? Here is the one most all of us use here... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Diagnostic-Data...SwTLRfE6RB

You need to bite the bullet and order the Inline reader NOW. And I was not joking about a new turbo!

Those Cummins shop mechanics are sitting in the lunch room figuring out how to sell you that new turbo before you call to check up on them. That is their go to part. They will tell you that there is a new code, and it took out your turbo, nothing fuel related, but you need a turbo. They will slap one on for $6000 and send you down the road after clearing out the codes...

In a few hours, or days, the original code will be back, it always is.

When you take it back in a day or two because that original code is back, they will hold your truck for another few weeks and tell you it is the EGR Cooler failing, that was not a fuel code, it was a coolant code... That EGR Cooler is their second go to part...

In a month or two, when you are sitting on the side of the road with a boat anchor under the hood, they will be there for you! Now it is time for that brand new reman crate motor they just happen to have lying around for a cool $38,000, not including the install...

It will come with a wore out reman head, new liners thrown in that old dirty block and lots of shiny red paint with that 90 day warranty... Unless you want to pay extra for the extended warranty, which happens to be roughly the same as a new turbo and an EGR Cooler... LOL!

Then the cycle will start all over again... In a few months, after the 90 day warranty has expired, you will be back with your new reman motor using coolant. EGR cooler installed first, than in a few weeks another new turbo, and a few more months down the road when you are sitting on the shoulder with that boat anchor under the hood, scratching your head...

Don't worry, Cummins is there for you! When they tow it back to the shop, they will discover the #5 liner has busted loose in that filthy old wore out block they just sold you, seems that liner is bouncing around like a Mexican jumping bean and took out that new/old wore out reman head and the gasket... LOL!

See how this works?

Have you ordered that Inline reader for $200 off of eBay yet? It comes with the software... ;-)

I sent you a PM...

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , Rawze , redbeard
So so true !!

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.